Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/7/14
Chris Rusin tossed a no-hitter for Triple-A Iowa. (Photo by Parker Waters)
Left-hander Chris Rusin tossed the first no-hitter for Iowa in 30 years, and Tennessee also continued its winning ways Wednesday. Daytona and Kane County were both on the losing end of their games. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (18-13)
1st Place (+1.5)
LHP Chris Rusin became the first Iowa hurler to throw a no-hitter in 30 years, as the I-Cubs beat host New Orleans, 3-0. It’s the seventh Triple-A no-hitter in Iowa franchise history and the first since the club joined the Pacific Coast League in 1998.
- Rusin walked two and struck out three while tossing 118 pitches (72 strikes). He’s the first Iowa pitcher to toss a no-hitter since August 21, 1984, when Reggie Patterson accomplished the feat in a 2-0 victory against Omaha.
- Rusin (.300) produced at the plate as well, going 2-for-4 with a two-run single in the second.
- Rusin threw the first no-hitter by a Cubs minor leaguer since Eric Jokisch accomplished the feat on Aug. 8, 2013, with Tennessee at Jacksonville.
- SS Javier Baez (.169) recorded a season-high three hits with a 3-for-5 performance.
- LF Josh Vitters (.221) posted his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Tennessee Smokies (19-14)
2nd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee won for the ninth time in 10 games, routing visiting Birmingham, 12-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee picked up the win, going seven strong, giving up one earned run and striking out two.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.313) recorded his first career multihomer game, going 3-for-4 with four runs, a walk, a double (9), two homers and a career-high six RBI (23). His eight homers on the year lead the Southern League.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.302) tallied his second-straight three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with three runs, a walk, three doubles (11) and two RBI (13). Bruno has now picked up hits in 12 of his last 21 at-bats.
- LF John Andreoli (.313) and CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.210) had two hits apiece, and Ha drove in two (8).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (0.00) struck out two in a perfect ninth inning of work in his Smokies debut.
Daytona Cubs (10-20)
5th Place (-13.0)
Daytona dropped its third-straight game, falling to visiting Lakeland, 5-1.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.250) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.360) went 1-for-4 with a double (8) and one RBI (14).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3.86) struck out two hitters while tossing 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (23-10)
1st Place (+4.0)
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.291) went 1-for-4 and recorded his team-leading 22nd RBI of the season. He’s hitting .333 (25-for-75) with 14 RBI in 18 home games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.216) and 3B David Bote (.250) had two hits apiece.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.252) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and his third triple of the season.
- RHP Justin Amlung was dealt a no-decision in his first start of the campaign. He’s 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA (3 ER/19.0 IP) in five appearances at home this year.