Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/8/14
Tennessee pulled out a victory, and Kane County won in extras Thursday. Meanwhile Iowa couldn’t get the bats going, and Daytona was shut out. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (18-14)
1st Place (+0.5)
A day after being no-hit, host New Orleans recorded 14 hits in 9-1 victory over the I-Cubs.
- RF Matt Szczur (.235) drove in Iowa’s only run with an eighth-inning RBI groundout.
- CF Brett Jackson (.148) and 3B Logan Watkins (.282) both went 1-for-4.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks fell to 0-2 in the month of May despite posting a 2.38 ERA (3 ER/11.1 IP) through two starts. He pitched six innings, gave up four runs (none earned) and struck out six. He has not allowed a home run in 42.0 innings of work with Iowa this season.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (2.08) struck out three hitters in two scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (20-14)
2nd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee won for the 10th time in 11 games, beating visiting Birmingham, 5-4.
- RHP Pierce Johnson got a no-decision, giving up three earned runs over six innings and fanning six.
- RHP Jose Veras (1-0, 0.00) tossed a scoreless eighth inning to pick up the win in his second appearance with the Smokies as part of a major league rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.328) crushed his third homer in his last two games, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a fifth-inning solo home run. His nine homers on the year lead the Southern League.
- RF Jorge Soler (1.000) reached base four times in his first game back since being activated from the disabled list, going 2-for-2 with a run, two walks, a double (2) and two RBI (2).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha’s (.212) seventh-inning, two-run single broke a 3-3 tie.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.53) allowed a run on two hits in two innings to earn his seventh save.
Daytona Cubs (10-21)
5th Place (-14.0)
Daytona dropped its fourth straight game, falling at Brevard County, 7-0.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.248) and 2B Gioskar Amaya (.344) each went 1-for-3.
- Daytona has now lost seven of its last eight games dating to April 28.
Kane County Cougars (24-10)
1st Place (+5.0)
Kane County scored three runs in the top of the 11th inning to beat host Burlington, 5-2.
- RHP Duane Underwood gave up one earned run over five innings, striking out three.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.233) and LF Shawon Dunston (.243) recorded three hits apiece.
- 2B David Bote (.264) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (6) and a game-high two RBI (9).
- RHP Tyler Bremer (4-0, 2.81) was credited with his fourth win of the season despite being tagged with a blown save the 10th inning.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.96) tossed a scoreless 11th inning of work to earn his first save of the year. Right-handed hitters are just 1-for-13 (.077) against him this season.
- The Cougars recorded eight extra-base hits on the evening (seven doubles and one triple).
- Kane County’s 24-10 record is tops in the Midwest League.