Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/11/14
Iowa and Tennessee both claimed wins in wild fashion Sunday. The I-Cubs came back from eight runs down to earn a victory, while the Smokies game included 30 total runs. Daytona and Kane County both were off Sunday. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (19-15)
1st Place (+1.0)
Iowa overcame an eight-run deficit, scoring the tying and go-ahead runs on a wild pitch in the eighth inning to knock of visiting Nashville, 12-11.
- LF Chris Valaika (.321) went 3-for-4 with a run, a walk and one RBI (17).
- 1B Lars Anderson (.250) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two runs, two walks and three RBI (11).
- C Eli Whiteside (.159) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning two-run homer.
- RF Logan Watkins (.293) was 1-for-1 with a walk, a run, a double (4) and three RBI (10).
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (5.23) allowed an unearned run on three hits while striking out six in four innings of relief.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (3-0, 4.30) worked a scoreless eighth frame to earn the victory.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his sixth save of the season.
- Iowa’s last eight-run comeback was Sept. 1, 2010, when they erased a 9-1 deficit, scoring nine times in the ninth inning to win at Albuquerque, 15-13.
Tennessee Smokies (22-15)
2nd Place (-3.0)
- CF Rubi Silva (.272) finished a home run shy of the cycle, going 4-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (4), a triple (1) and a season-high five RBI (22).
- RF Jorge Soler (.412) went 2-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored, two doubles (6) and a season-high four RBI (7). He’s hitting .375 (6-for-16) with six doubles and seven RBI since coming off the disabled list on May 8.
- DH Kris Bryant (.331) posted his third three-hit game in his last five, going 3-for-5 with three runs and three RBI (29). He’s hitting .432 (19-for-44) with five home runs and 17 RBI in 11 May games, with 12 RBI in his last five games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.326) reached base six times, going 3-for-3 with two runs scored, three walks, a double (11) and two RBI (15). It was his third, three-walk performance of the season.
- RHP Jose Veras (2-0, 0.00), making his third appearance with the Smokies as part of a major league rehabilitation assignment, earned his second win after tossing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief. He walked two and fanned one.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (7.27) earned his first save of the season despite allowing two runs on two hits and walking three in 2.1 innings of relief.
- The Smokies were 10-for-22 with runners in scoring position.
- The team scored a season-high 17 runs on 16 hits and recorded six extra-base hits.