Cubs Minor League Notebook: 5/12/14
Iowa picked up a win in walk-off fashion with the help of the organization’s top prospect, but that’s all the success the club’s minor league squads had, as Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all lost Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (20-15)
1st Place (+1.0)
SS Javier Baez hit a walk-off single in the 10th inning to lift Iowa over Nashville, 2-1.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada gave up one earned run over seven innings, striking out eight in a no-decision. Wada lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.22 (6 ER/44.1 IP). His 0.83 WHIP on the season is second-best in the Pacific Coast League.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.254) clubbed a ninth-inning solo homer to tie the game at 1-1.
- Baez (.153) finished the game 1-for-5 with his 11th RBI of the season.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (1-0, 1.86) earned the win by working a scoreless top of the ninth.
- LHP Chris Rusin was named the PCL’s Pitcher of the Week for the week of May 5-11 after tossing the league’s first no-hitter since 2009—and 145th all-time—on May 7 at New Orleans. He walked two and struck out three in his 118-pitch effort, limiting the Zephyrs to three base runners on the day.
Tennessee Smokies (22-16)
2nd Place (-4.0)
Host Jackson scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to sneak past Tennessee, 8-6.
- CF Rubi Silva (.279) posted his fourth-straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a second-inning solo homer. He’s hitting .579 (11-for-19) with eight RBI over the four-game stretch.
- C Rafael Lopez (.326) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning three-run homer, giving him five RBI over the last two contests.
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.250) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), a triple (1) and one RBI (13).
- 3B Kris Bryant was named the Southern League’s Hitter of the Week for May 5-12. Bryant batted .464 (13-for-28) in that span, and tallied 12 runs scored, a double, four homers and 14 RBI.
Daytona Cubs (10-24)
5th Place (-16.0)
Daytona lost its seventh-straight game, falling to visiting Charlotte, 11-5.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.307) went 1-for-4 with a first-inning solo home run.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.356) recorded his third, three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a double (10) and an RBI (16).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.305) went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
Kane County Cougars (26-11)
1st Place (+5.5)
Kane County managed just three hits in a 6-1 loss at Beloit.
- C Will Remillard (.366) went 1-for-3 with his 23rd RBI of the campaign.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.230) and LF Shawon Dunston (.247) recorded the other two Cougar hits.
- Kane County fell to 10-8 on the road this season. The Cougars own a league-best 16-3 record at home.