Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/13/14
Tennessee rolled to a win, and Daytona snapped its lengthy losing streak. But Iowa’s bats were kept quiet, and Kane County lost a one-run game Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (20-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa managed just two hits in an 8-0 loss to visiting Nashville.
- RF Logan Watkins (.295) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a double (5) in the ninth inning. He’s batting .400 (8-for-20) during the stretch.
- LHP Chris Rusin (.364) recorded Iowa’s other hit, going 1-for-1. Cubs pitchers are hitting .545 with three RBI this season.
Tennessee Smokies (23-16)
2nd Place (-3.0)
Tennessee used a six-run third inning to roll past host Jackson, 10-7.
- Reigning Southern League Player of the Week Kris Bryant (.324) went 2-for-5 with a third-inning three-run homer. He’s hitting .396 (21-for-53) with 18 runs, six homers and 21 RBI in 13 May games.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.317) recorded his second four-hit game in his last four contests, going 4-for-5 with a run, a double (13), one triple (2) and two RBI (20).
- C Taylor Davis (.364) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (2), a triple (1) and two RBI (7).
- RHP Jose Veras (0.00) made his fourth appearance (first start) with the Smokies as part of a major league rehabilitation assignment, tossing a scoreless first inning. Veras has allowed just one hit in 4.2 innings with Tennessee.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (5-1, 1.16) picked up the win after allowing one run in 2.2 innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (11-24)
5th Place (-15.0)
Daytona snapped its seven-game losing streak, beating visiting Charlotte, 12-0.
- CF Albert Almora (.250) went 3-for-5 with a run, three doubles (10) and a season-high four RBI (16).
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.167) and SS Marco Hernandez (.313) both recorded multihit efforts.
- RHP Ben Wells picked up the win after fanning a career-high eight hitters. He gave up three hits and no runs over six innings.
- RHP Austin Reed (3.24) struck out three while tossing two scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (26-12)
1st Place (+4.0)
Kane County dropped its second-straight game, falling at Beloit, 3-2.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.245), 3B Jordan Hankins (.293) and 2B David Bote (.238) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Daury Torrez was dealt a no-decision despite tossing his fourth quality start of the season. He gave up three hits over six innings.