Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/14/14
A grand slam lifted Daytona to a win, but Kane County has hit a rough patch, falling for the third-straight game. Iowa was off Wednesday, while Tennessee was cancelled due to poor weather. Here are the headlines from yesterday’s minor league action.
Daytona Cubs (12-24)
5th Place (-14.0)
Daytona jumped ahead on a two-out, eighth-inning Tim Saunders grand slam to defeat Charlotte at home, 6-2.
- CF Albert Almora (.258) recorded his second-straight multihit effort (eighth of the season), going 2-for-4 with a run, a homer (2) and two RBI (18).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.248) finished the night 2-for-4 with a run, the grand slam, four RBI (15) and his 10th stolen base. His 10 steals rank fifth in the Florida State League.
- RHP Zach Godley (1-0, 0.00) earned the win in relief, spinning two scoreless frames with two strikeouts.
Kane County Cougars (26-13)
1st Place (+2.5)
Host Beloit completed the sweep over Kane County with a 2-1 victory. The Cougars have lost three straight games for the second time this season.
- Kane County managed just four hits, including two singles from C Cael Brockmeyer and a double from 1B Jacob Rogers. That was the team’s lone extra-base hit on the day.
- RHP Justin Amlung (2.17) retired all 10 batters he faced, striking out three in 3.1 perfect innings.