Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/15/14
Kyle Hendricks pitched another stellar game to lead Iowa to a win, while Tennessee and Kane County both ended up on the wrong side of the ledger. The Daytona Cubs home game against Charlotte was rained out. Here are some highlights from Thursday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (21-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Eight scoreless frames and 11 strikeouts from RHP Kyle Hendricks helped Iowa blank visiting Round Rock, 2-0.
- Hendricks’ eight innings and 11 punchouts both matched career-highs. He didn’t walk a runner for the first time since August 18 of last year at New Orleans.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.270) recorded his third game with multiple extra-base hits, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (12), a triple (5) and one run scored.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.209) and LF Josh Vitters (.215) each tallied an RBI single.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his seventh save and is a perfect 7-for-7 in save opportunities. He has not allowed an earned run and has given up just seven hits and no walks in 9.1 innings this season.
Tennessee Smokies (23-17)
2nd Place (-3.5)
Rafael Lopez and Kris Bryant continued to rake, but Tennessee lost an 11-inning battle, falling at Mississippi, 6-5.
- C Rafael Lopez went 2-for-5 with a run, a walk, a homer, two RBI (20) and his first stolen base. He leads the league in average (.330) and OBP (.460) and ranks second in slugging percentage (.560) and OPS (1.020).
- The league-leader in slugging (.615) and OPS (1.037), 3B Kris Bryant, went 2-for-6 with a run and his 34th RBI, which also leads the league.
- LF John Andreoli (.281) went 2-for-4 with a run and two stolen bases, giving him a league-leading 20.
Daytona Cubs (12-24)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona’s home game against Charlotte was cancelled due to rain. The Cubs will resume play tonight at Fort Myers.
Kane County Cougars (26-14)
1st Place (+2.5)
The Cougars were blanked by Quad Cities at home, dropping their fourth in a row, 7-0.
- Kane County managed five singles: one each from SS Carlos Penalver (.240), DH Jordan Hankins (.289) and LF Shawon Dunston (.241), and two from 1B Jacob Rogers (.241).
- RHP Duane Underwood surrendered a grand slam and threw two wild pitches in a five-run third. None of the runs were earned.