Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/18/14
Iowa mounted an exciting comeback victory to remain in a tie for first place, but Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all lost Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (22-18)
T-1st Place (–)
The I-Cubs trailed 8-5 entering the eighth, but scored four runs on two homers in the frame, highlighted by a two-out, three-run shot by 2B Arismendy Alcantara. Iowa defeated visiting Round Rock, 9-8.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada allowed a season-high six earned runs. After allowing just two earned runs over his first five starts for a 0.57 ERA, he has surrendered 10 runs in his last three games, inflating his ERA to 2.10.
- Alcantara (.272) went 1-for-5 with the home run and a game-high four RBI (21).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.235) went 2-for-4 with a double (13) and an eighth-inning solo home run.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2.95) earned his first win of the season. RHP Blake Parker got the save (8).
Tennessee Smokies (23-20)
2nd Place (-6.5)
Tennessee lost its fourth-straight game, falling at Mississippi, 4-2.
- Smokies hitters managed just five singles, three of which came in a two-run fourth inning. RF Rubi Silva (.264, 25 RBI) and CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.212, 13 RBI) each recorded an RBI in the frame.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (3.86) worked a scoreless ninth inning. He’s allowed just one hit over his last four relief appearances (4.0 IP).
Daytona Cubs (14-25)
5th Place (-15.5)
Daytona managed just five hits in a 10-1 loss at Fort Myers.
- CF Albert Almora (.275) recorded two of Daytona’s five hits, both singles.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.295) hit his fourth double of the year in the second inning, knocking in his 14th run.
- RHP Starling Peralta (2.93) tossed four scoreless innings of relief while fanning three and allowing just one hit.
Kane County Cougars (28-15)
1st Place (+2.5)
Visiting Quad Cities pounded out 17 hits in a 10-3 victory over Kane County.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.243) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (13), a homer (3) and two RBI (15).
- C Ben Carhart (.250) went 3-for-4 with two runs. He also recorded a pickoff from behind the plate.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.241) went 1-for-4 with his eighth double and his 24th RBI.
- River Bandits DH Brian Holberton (.350) hit for the fifth minor league cycle of 2014, going 5-for-5 with five RBI.