Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/19/14
Tennessee and Daytona both secured wins, while Iowa couldn’t keep the offense going Monday. Meanwhile, Kane County was rained out. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (22-19)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa’s scoring stopped after a two-run first, and they fell at Round Rock, 4-2.
- SS Javier Baez (.165) hit in his fourth-straight game, ripping a double in the first inning.
- Rehabbing Cubs RF Justin Ruggiano (2-for-3) and DH Josh Vitters (.216) both singled twice.
- LHP Chris Rusin, PCL Pitcher of the Week for May 4-11, lost his sixth game, tied for the league lead. Teammate Kyle Hendricks became the second-consecutive I-Cub to win the award, taking the honors for the week of May 12-18.
Tennessee Smokies (24-20)
2nd Place (-5.5)
The Smokies snapped a four-game skid behind four hitless frames from starter Pierce Johnson. They beat host Mississippi, 3-1.
- RHP Johnson fanned two and walked two but gave up no hits or runs in four innings of work.
- Kris Bryant (.325) pinch-hit for Johnson in the fifth inning and hit a two-run double (11 2B, 36 RBI).
- LF John Andreoli (.275), RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.222) and SS Wes Darvill (.228) each added two singles apiece.
- Andreoli swiped his league-leading 23rd bag, and Bryant extended his lead in the RBI category to 36.
- RHP Tony Zych (1-2, 5.30) earned the win in relief, allowing one earned run over two innings.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino earned his first hold with a scoreless seventh, maintaining his 0.00 ERA (5.0 IP).
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.85) recorded his eighth save with two scoreless frames.
Daytona Cubs (15-25)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona scored twice in the top of the eighth to beat the Miracle in Fort Myers, 4-2.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang gave up one hit and fanned four over five innings.
- C Wilson Contreras (.191) ripped a two-run single with two outs in the eighth to give Daytona the lead.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.268) went 2-for-4 with a run, a walk, two doubles (11) and an RBI (15).
- CF Albert Almora (.279) went 2-for-5 at the plate and threw two runners out at home.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (1-0, 6.75) blew a save but ended up with the win.
- RHP Austin Reed earned his second save, tossing 1.1 innings without allowing a run.