Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/20/14
Kane County managed a win in the second game of a doubleheader, Iowa lost in walk-off fashion, and Daytona’s offensive woes continued in a shutout loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (22-20)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa fell 2-1 on a walk-off homer by former I-Cub outfielder Brad Snyder.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel gave up two hits and struck out six over six innings for the Cubs.
- Iowa’s offense scattered 11 hits over seven innings, but went just 1-for-6 with RISP, left eight on base, and grounded into four double plays.
- SS Javier Baez (.176) doubled twice (4) and has now recorded a hit in five straight games.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.271) and 3B Christian Villanueva (.236) added two hits apiece.
- C Luis Flores (.327) went 1-for-4 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- RF Justin Ruggiano (.286) went 0-for-4 in his second game as part of his rehab assignment.
Daytona Cubs (15-26)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona was shut out for the sixth time this season, falling 3-0 to host Bradenton.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny pitched two scoreless innings, striking out two.
- All five of Daytona’s hits were singles: two from RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.277) and one each from 3B Jeimer Candelario (.179), C Chadd Krist (.228) and 1B Rock Shoulders (.214).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.95) allowed a run on one hit over three innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (29-16)
1st Place (+2.5)
In the first game of a doubleheader at Wisconsin, Kane County fell behind early and suffered an 11-1 loss.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.214) and 3B Ben Carhart (.260) each singled twice.
- C Will Remillard (.347, 12 2B) and 2B David Bote (.247, 8 2B) each doubled.
The Cougars avoided a doubleheader sweep with a 1-0 victory over Wisconsin.
- RHP Justin Amlung gave up three hits and no runs over seven innings, striking out five.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.236) recorded Kane County’s only extra-base hit with a double in the fourth. He walked and stole second (12) to set up Carhart’s game-winning single in the ninth.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.325) was the only Cougar to record multiple hits, going 2-for-3 on the night.
- RHP James Pugliese (2-0, 1.10) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.