Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/21/14
Iowa racked up four home runs on its way to a win, Daytona’s pitching was on in a victory and Kane County picked up its 30th win of the season with a win Wednesday. Meanwhile, Tennessee was outslugged in a loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (23-20)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa hit four home runs in a 6-2 victory at Round Rock.
- LHP Eric Jokisch pitched seven innings, giving up one earned run and striking out seven to pick up his third win of the season.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.243) recorded his first multi-homer game of the year, going 2-for-4 with two home runs and tied a season high with his three RBI (15).
- SS Javier Baez (.178) extended his hitting streak to six games (.348/8-for-23) with an eighth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara’s (.270) fourth blast of the season was the first leadoff homer by an Iowa Cub since Darnell McDonald turned the trick on August 5 of last year at Tacoma.
- DH Justin Ruggiano (.182) went 0-for-4 in the third game of his major league rehab assignment.
- RHP Frank Batista (9.00) recorded the final two outs of the contest to earn his first save with Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (24-21)
2nd Place (-6.5)
Mobile first baseman Jon Griffin tied a Southern League record by clubbing four home runs (7 RBI), as he helped the BayBears rout the Smokies, 17-7.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.323) blasted his Southern League-leading 12th homer with a first-inning, solo shot.
- SS Wes Darvill (.232) went 1-for-3 with a ninth-inning, two-run homer.
- C Rafael Lopez (.304) recorded Tennessee’s lone multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (12).
Daytona Cubs (16-26)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona limited host Bradenton to just five hits in a 4-2 victory.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.287) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), a home run and three RBI (17).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.310) recorded his seventh, three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a double (3) and one RBI (9).
- C Willson Contreras (.208) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his second double of the year.
- RHP Trevor Graham (1-0, 0.00) tossed 3.2 scoreless innings of relief while fanning four to earn the win.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.31) worked 1.1 innings to earn his third save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (30-16)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County won its Midwest League-leading 30th game, beating host Wisconsin, 8-2.
- RHP Duane Underwood picked up the win, giving up no earned runs on two hits while fanning five over five innings.
- DH Ben Carhart (.275) went 3-for-4 with two runs, a walk, a double (10) and one RBI (17).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.214), SS Carlos Penalver (.241) and RF Yasiel Balaguert (.237) all recorded two hits apiece.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.248) went 2-for-3 with a run scored, two doubles (9) and two RBI (13).
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.25) struck out four hitters over two scoreless innings of relief.