Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/22/14
Iowa powered its way to a win, the Smokies secured a victory in walk-off fashion and Kane County continued its winning ways Thursday. Daytona couldn’t hold its ninth-inning lead. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (24-20)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa scored five runs in the fourth inning to roll past host Round Rock, 7-2.
- RHP Dallas Beeler earned the win after throwing seven innings, giving up one earned run and striking out six.
- SS Javier Baez (.201) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.429/12-for-28), going 4-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (6), a home run and two RBI (17). Baez has homered in back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- C Eli Whiteside (.161) went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- RF Justin Ruggiano (.188) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and a double (1) in the third game of his major league rehab assignment.
Tennessee Smokies (25-21)
2nd Place (-5.5)
Smokies LF Charlie Cutler hit a walk-off RBI-single to lift Tennessee over Mobile, 6-5.
- RHP Corey Black struck out seven over five innings, giving up one earned run.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.335) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.400/12-for-30) while reaching base five times, going a perfect 3-for-3 with a run, two walks, a double (12), three RBI (40) and one stolen base (6). He’s hitting .397 (31-for-78) with seven home runs and 28 RBI in just 20 May games.
- Cutler (.324) finished the contest going 2-for-4 with a double (7) and three RBI (19).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1-0, 4.50) earned the win despite blowing the save in the top of the ninth, as he allowed three runs on three hits.
- Mobile 1B Jon Griffin homered in his first at-bat, giving him five-straight at-bats with a homer.
Daytona Cubs (16-27)
5th Place (-15.5)
Bradenton scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat Daytona, 2-1.
- RHP Tayler Scott gave up no earned runs over 6.1 innings, striking out three.
- C Willson Contreras (.237) went 3-for-4 with two doubles (4) and his first triple of the year.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.183) went 2-for-4.
- RHP Austin Reed (2.70) tossed 1.2 scoreless inning of relief.
Kane County Cougars (31-16)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County won its Midwest League-leading 31st game, beating visiting Clinton, 6-1.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.237) went 1-for-4 with an eighth-inning, solo home run.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.247) and 3B Ben Carhart (.281) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Paul Blackburn won his team-leading fifth game. He owns a 1.00 ERA (2 ER/18.0 IP) with 16 strikeouts over his last three starts (2-0 record).