Cubs Minor League recap: 5/26/14
Iowa set a season high for runs scored in a win, and Kane County earned another victory courtesy a walk-off homer in the 11th inning Monday. Tennessee gave up a late lead, while Daytona had the day off. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (27-21)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa pounded out a season-high 12 runs on 17 hits, beating visiting Memphis, 12-3.
- LHP Eric Jokisch set down 11 of the first 12 hitters he faced before allowing his lone earned run in the fifth. He’s 2-0 with a 1.17 ERA (2 ER/15.1 IP) in his last two starts. Jokisch also went 2-for-3 with a run, a double (1) and two RBI (2) at the dish.
- SS Javier Baez (.225) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 3-for-4 with two runs, two doubles (9), three RBI (25) and one stolen base (4). He’s hitting .422 (19-for-45) with eight doubles, four home runs and 14 RBI during the streak. Baez has recorded seven RBI in his last two games.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.281) reached base five times, going a perfect 4-for-4 with four runs scored, a walk, a double (14), a triple (6), two RBI (25) and one stolen base (10).
- 1B Chris Valaika (.312) posted Iowa’s other four-hit game, going 4-for-4 with two RBI (26).
- Javier Baez was named the Pacific Coast League’s Player of the Week for the week of May 19-25. He is the first Cubs position player to win the award since Welington Castillo from June 13-19, 2011. Baez batted .400 (12-for-30) with six doubles, and tied for the PCL lead with three homers and eight RBI to earn the honor.
Tennessee Smokies (26-24)
2nd Place (-7.5)
Huntsville scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to sneak past Tennessee, 5-4.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.337) went 2-for-3 and clubbed his Southern League-leading 14th homer of the season. He’s hitting .391 (36-for-92) with 25 runs, five doubles, nine home runs and 31 RBI in just 24 May games.
- RHP Joel Pineiro turned in his first quality start of the season with Tennessee. Opponents are just 2-for-12 (.167) against him with runners in scoring position and two outs.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (6.75) struck out two hitters over 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (34-17)
1st Place (+6.5)
3B Jordan Hankins clubbed a pinch-hit solo home run in the bottom of the 11th inning to lift Kane County over Peoria, 5-4.
- RHP Justin Amlung gave up one earned run over five innings, fanning four.
- Hankins (.287) extended his hitting streak to four games (.545/6-for-11) with the walk-off homer.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.243) went 2-for-5 with a second-inning solo home run.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.89) allowed just two hits in three scoreless innings of relief. He owns a 0.64 ERA (1 ER/14.0 IP) in eight May relief appearances.
- RHP Jose Arias (1-1, 1.93) allowed one run over 1.2 innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.