Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/27/14
Daytona continued its hot streak with another win Tuesday, while Kane County padded its lead in the Midwest League’s Western Division. Tennessee dropped an extra-inning game, and Iowa was rained out. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (26-25)
2nd Place (-8.5)
Tennessee reliever Austin Kirk walked in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning in a 2-1 loss at Huntsville.
- RHP Corey Black struck out six, gave up three hits and allowed no earned runs over 5.1 innings.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.335) went 0-for-1 with a run scored and a season-high four walks. He’s hitting .387 (36-for-93) with 25 runs, five doubles, nine home runs and 31 RBI in 25 May games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.321), 1B Dustin Geiger (.229) and 2B Wes Darvill (.221) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Tony Zych (5.91) and Lendy Castillo (4.50) combined to toss 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (20-29)
5th Place (-15.0)
Daytona won for the fourth time in five games, beating visiting Palm Beach, 8-4.
- RHP Tayler Scott picked up the win, giving up two earned runs and fanning three.
- CF Albert Almora (.271) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a game-high three RBI (24).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.284), 1B Dan Vogelbach (.260), DH Willson Contreras (.256) and C Lance Rymel (.500) recorded two hits apiece.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.04) struck out four in 2.2 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth save.
Kane County Cougars (35-17)
1st Place (+7.5)
Kane County won its third straight game, beating visiting Peoria, 5-4.
- RHP Duane Underwood gave up two runs in six innings, striking out two.
- LF Trey Martin (.190) belted Kane County’s first grand slam of the year in the seventh inning.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.223) posted his 11th multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Michael Wagner (1-1, 5.84) allowed a run in 1.1 innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (3.18) scattered two hits, fanned three and allowed one run in 1.2 innings to earn his third save.