Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/28/14
The Cubs minor league affiliates had a rough day yesterday, going 1-3 overall. But the Kane County squad extended its winning streak to four games, and Kris Bryant continued to mash at Double-A Tennessee. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (27-22)
1st Place (+0.5)
GM 1: Memphis scored a run in the bottom of the seventh inning to beat Iowa, 1-0.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara (.282) went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to four games.
- RHP Dallas Beeler was dealt the loss despite tossing his second-career complete game. He owns a1.35 ERA (2 ER/13.1 IP) over his last two starts.
GM 2: The second game of Iowa’s doubleheader at Memphis was suspended in the sixth inning due to rain. The game will resume today with Iowa trailing, 2-1.
Tennessee Smokies (26-26)
2nd Place (-9.5)
Huntsville recorded its third-straight, walk-off win over Tennessee with a 2-1 victory in 11 innings.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.349) reached base five times, going a perfect 4-for-4 with a run, a walk, a double (14) and his league-leading 15th homer of the campaign. He’s hitting .412 (40-for-97) with 27 runs, six doubles, 10 home runs and 32 RBI in 26 May games.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (3.24) struck out two hitters in a scoreless eighth inning of work.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (1.42) lowered his May ERA to 1.35 (1 ER/6.2 IP) with 2.0 scoreless frames.
Daytona Cubs (20-30)
5th Place (-16.0)
Visiting Palm Beach recorded 16 hits in a 7-2 victory over Daytona.
- C Willson Contreras (.267) posted his sixth multihit game in his last seven, going 2-for-4 with two RBI (11). He has raised his average 76 points over the last seven games (.191 AVG on May 19).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.308) went 2-for-4 with his sixth double of the campaign.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.47) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (36-17)
1st Place (+7.5)
Kane County won its fourth-straight game, beating host Clinton, 7-1.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.251) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and his 10th double of the year.
- CF Trey Martin (.208) posted his second-straight multihit game, going 3-for-4 with a run, a double (5) and one RBI (17).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.246), LF Shawon Dunston (.262) and DH Ben Carhart (.284) each had two hits.
- RHP Zak Hermans (1-0, 3.12) struck out four hitters in 3.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.