Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/29/14
There were quite a few bright spots in an 0-5 day for the Cubs minor league affiliates Thursday. Top prospect Javier Baez continued his rebound with a multihit effort, Arismendy Alcantara hit his seventh triple of the season, and Kris Bryant clubbed his league-leading 16th home run. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (27-24)
T-1st Place (–)
GM 1: Redbirds closer David Aardsma held the I-Cubs scoreless in the top of the seventh inning to close out a 2-1 victory for Memphis in the suspended game from Wednesday night.
- SS Javier Baez (.229) recorded Iowa’s lone multihit game, going 2-for-3.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.282) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (26) and his team-leading seventh triple.
GM 2: Memphis LHP Tim Cooney still had a no-hitter going with two outs in the top of the ninth inningbefore Alcantara spoiled his bid at history with a single to left field. The I-Cubs fell, 4-0.
- Alcantara (.282) extended his hitting streak to five games with the two-out single.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (5.48) struck out two hitters in 2.0 scoreless innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (26-27)
2nd Place (-10.5)
Tennessee lost its fourth straight one-run game to host Huntsville, as they fell 4-3.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.347) went 1-for-4 and clubbed his Southern League-leading 16th homer of the campaign. Bryant has now homered in three of his last four games and is hitting .406 (41-for-101) with 28 runs, six doubles, 11 home runs and 33 RBI in 27 May games.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.232) and 1B Charles Cutler (.330) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Joe Gardner has allowed just one run on three hits in two starts with the Smokies (11.2 IP).
Daytona Cubs (20-31)
5th Place (-17.0)
Visiting Palm Beach recorded 11 hits in an 8-1 victory over Daytona.
- DH Chadd Krist (.226) recorded Daytona’s lone multihit game, going 2-for-4.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.315) went 1-for-2 with a walk and his 12th double of the year.
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.189) went 1-for-2 with a walk and drove in his sixth run of the campaign.
Kane County Cougars (36-18)
1st Place (+6.5)
Kane County had its four-game winning streak snapped in a 5-0 loss at Clinton.
- DH Ben Carhart (.297) reached base four times, going a perfect 3-for-3 with a walk.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.350) posted his second three-hit game of the year, going 3-for-4.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.246) went 1-for-4 and has now hit safely in five of his last six games.