Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/1/14
Extra-base hits boosted Iowa to a win, and Kane County delivered a shutout victory Sunday. Tennessee couldn’t stop its losing streak, while Daytona’s bats were kept quiet. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (29-25)
T-1st Place (–)
- LHP Eric Jokisch gave up no earned runs over six innings, fanning five to get the win.
- SS Javier Baez (.220) left in the bottom of the sixth inning after being hit by a pitch in the right wrist earlier in the game. He initially stayed in the game after being plunked in the third inning, and went on to steal both second and third base.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.235) went 2-for-4 with a fifth-inning, two-run homer.
- PH Brett Jackson (.216) hit his third homer of the season, a pinch-hit, two-run shot in the seventh.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (3.29) tossed a scoreless seventh inning to earn the hold (1).
- RHP Blake Parker earned his 10th save in 10 opportunities, striking out the final two batters of the game.
Tennessee Smokies (26-30)
2nd Place (-12.5)
- 3B Kris Bryant (.348) continued his torrid stretch with a two-run homer in the first, finishing 1-for-4 with a run, a walk, his 18th homer and three RBI (49). Bryant leads the league with a .348 average, 18 home runs, 49 RBIs, 48 runs, 70 hits and 139 total bases. He also leads the Southern League in OBP (.452), slugging (.692) and OPS (1.143).
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.236) knocked two singles, scored the team’s third run and recorded one of Tennessee’s three stolen bases on the day. Others to swipe a bag included CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.215, 3 SB) and RF John Andreoli (.240, league-leading 26 SB).
- RHP Tony Zych (1-3, 5.25) allowed an unearned run in the eighth inning, suffering his third loss.
Daytona Cubs (20-34)
5th Place (-17.5)
Daytona managed just four singles in a 6-0 setback at St. Lucie.
- RHP Tayler Scott was handed the loss despite giving up just one earned run in 5.1 innings and striking out two.
- In addition to the four singles, Daytona hitters reached once on an error, three times by walks and twice after being hit by pitches.
Kane County Cougars (38-17)
1st Place (+7.5)
Kane County blanked host Peoria despite being outhit 6-5. The Cougars won by a final score of 2-0.
- RHP Justin Amlung allowed four hits and no earned runs while fanning eight and walking none, lowering his ERA to 1.54 and his WHIP to .88, both good for second in the Midwest League.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.288) recorded his 11th double and added a single to finish 2-for-4.
- DH Ben Carhart (.290) recorded the third triple of his career and his first of the season.