Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/2/14
Daytona snapped its losing streak Monday, but Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County were all on the losing side of the ledger. Here are the highlights of yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (29-26)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa dropped the third game in a four-game set to host Nashville, 4-1, to fall into second place.
- The I-Cubs offense recorded six singles, including two apiece from 1B Chris Valaika (.297) and RHP Dallas Beeler, whose second and third hits of the season raised his average to .500 (3-for-6).
- Beeler suffered his second loss in a row despite tossing his third quality start in a row, and fourth of the year. He has a 2.05 ERA (6 ER/26.1 IP) on the road and a 12.96 ERA (12 ER/8.1 IP) at home.
Tennessee Smokies (26-31)
2nd Place (-12.5)
Tennessee lost its eighth-straight game, falling to visiting Birmingham, 10-5.
- DH Kris Bryant (.351) earned Southern League Hitter of the Week honors for the week of May 26-June 1, hitting .478 (11-23) over that span with seven runs, two doubles, five homers, seven RBI and nine walks. Bryant leads the league with a .351 average, 18 home runs, 49 RBI, 49 runs, 72 hits and 141 total bases. He also leads the Southern League in OBP (.455), slugging (.688) and OPS (1.143).
- Bryant celebrated the honor with his 20th multihit game (in 56 games), going 2-for-4 with a run and a walk.
- Other Smokies hitters with multiple hits included C Charles Cutler (2-for-5, R), 1B Dustin Geiger (2-for-4, R, 2 RBI) and 3B Anthony Giansanti (3-for-4, R, 2B, RBI).
- CF Rubi Silva (.235) ripped a double in the ninth to knock in his 26th run, second on the team.
Daytona Cubs (21-34)
5th Place (-17.5)
Daytona snapped its five-game losing skid, beating host St. Lucie, 3-1.
- LHP Nathan Dorris picked up the win, giving up one earned run over 6.2 innings.
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.206), PH-RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.279) and C Chadd Krist (.217) each had two singles.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.261) doubled to lead off the third, notching Daytona’s lone extra-base hit.
- In relief of Dorris’ first quality start, RHP Zach Cates (2.08) threw 1.1 scoreless frames for the hold (1), and RHP Michael Jensen (3.24) spun a scoreless ninth for the save (1).
Kane County Cougars (38-20)
1st Place (+6.5)
The Peoria Chiefs put up three in the fifth and two in the seventh to beat the visiting Cougars, 5-3.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.234) went 3-for-5 with a double (5), two RBI (20) and his 17th stolen base.
- Three other Cougars doubled: 1B Ben Carhart (.291, 14 2B), RF Yasiel Balaguert (.241, 9 2B) and 2B Danny Lockhart (.261, 11 2B).
- RHP Duane Underwood did not allow a hit until the fourth inning, and has not surrendered more than two earned runs in any of his last six starts.