Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/3/14
All three Cubs minor league affiliates that saw action picked up wins Tuesday. Kane County had the day off and returns to the field Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s games.
Iowa Cubs (30-26)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa beat the Sounds, 4-2, to split the four-game series in Nashville, despite being outhit 11-6.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada struck out five and gave up just one earned run over six innings to pick up the win and earn his seventh quality start of the year.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (3.97) threw 1.2 scoreless frames to earn the hold (1), and RHP Blake Parker allowed one run on his way to a four-out save (11).
- LF Matt Szczur (.244) went 2-for-4 with a run and his eighth stolen base.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.230) hit his 16th double in the fifth and drove in his 21st run.
- CF Ryan Kalish (.167) had an RBI single in Iowa’s three-run sixth, his only hit in four tries.
Tennessee Smokies (27-31)
2nd Place (-11.5)
The Smokies won for the first time since May 25, snapping an eight-game skid by blanking visiting Birmingham, 3-0.
- RHP Matt Loosen gave up just four hits and no earned runs over six innings, striking out seven, to pick up the win.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.353) clubbed a two-run homer in the fourth. Bryant leads the league with a .353 average, 19 home runs, 51 RBIs, 50 runs, 73 hits and 145 total bases. He also leads the Southern League in OBP (.460), slugging (.700) and OPS (1.160).
- RF Rubi Silva (.240) and DH Anthony Giansanti (.238) notched two singles apiece.
- In relief of Loosen’s third quality start, LHP Hunter Cervenka (1.61) earned his fourth hold with two scoreless frames, and RHP Armando Rivero (1.86) retired the side in the ninth for the save (9).
- Bryant and Rivero were among six Smokies named to the Southern League North Division All-Star team. The other Smokies honored were LF John Andreoli, RHP Corey Black, SS Stephen Bruno and C Rafael Lopez, who will not play as a result of his promotion to Triple-A Iowa.
Daytona Cubs (22-34)
5th Place (-17.5)
Daytona held off a pesky Mets offense to win 6-5 at St. Lucie, despite being outhit 11-6.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3-1, 3.29) relieved LHP Austin Kirk and earned his third win, allowing two earned runs over four innings.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.34) threw 1.2 scoreless innings for his first save.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.267) went 2-for-3 with two runs, a double (11) and his 20th RBI.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.193) tallied his fourth multi-RBI game, going 0-for-3 with two walks and two RBI (24).
- Four Daytona players were named Florida State League North Division All-Stars: 2B Gioskar Amaya, LHP Andrew McKirahan, RHP Felix Pena and LF Bijan Rademacher.