Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/4/14
Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all racked up victories Wednesday while Iowa had the afternoon off. The Cubs organization is a combined 8-0 over the last two days. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (28-31)
2nd Place (-11.5)
Tennessee won its second-straight game, beating visiting Birmingham, 4-1.
- RHP Joe Gardner picked up the win, giving up one earned run over 6.2 innings, fanning five and walking none.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.348) went 0-for-3 to snap his seven-game hitting streak. He walked once and has now reached base safely in 20 of his last 21 games.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.234) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- LF John Andreoli (.231) went 1-for-3 while swiping his league-leading 27th and 28th stolen bases.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (2.61) worked a scoreless ninth inning for his first save of the season.
Daytona Cubs (23-34)
5th Place (-16.5)
Daytona scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to beat Jupiter, 4-2.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up two earned runs over five innings, fanning four.
- RHP Jose Rosario (3-4, 4.10) earned his third win in relief, spinning three scoreless innings and fanning five.
- All-Star LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.00) fanned two in a scoreless ninth for the save (5).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.261) ripped a two-run double in the eighth, bringing his RBI total to 23.
Kane County Cougars (39-20)
1st Place (+7.5)
Kane County beat Clinton on a walk-off fielder’s choice in the 10th inning, edging the LumberKings, 5-4.
- CF Jacob Hannemann went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two doubles (7).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.264) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.247) each recorded two hits apiece.
- Four Kane County players were named to the Midwest League Western Division All-Star Team: C Will Remillard, INF Jordan Hankins, RHP Jose Arias, and yesterday’s starter and the Cubs Minor League Pitcher of the Month for May, RHP Paul Blackburn.