Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/5/14
Daytona secured a win on a walk-off single, while Kane County improved to 20 games over .500 with a win Thursday. Meanwhile, Iowa couldn’t get the ball rolling, and Tennessee was shut out in a loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (30-27)
T-2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa fell to the visiting Sky Sox in the series opener by a final score of 6-2.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.267) went 2-for-4, including his team-leading eighth home run, a solo shot with two out in the sixth.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.230) went 1-for-4 with his 17th double in the seventh inning. He later scored on a bases-loaded walk from pinch-hitter Logan Watkins (.302).
- C Rafael Lopez (.143) went 1-for-3 to record his first hit with Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (28-32)
2nd Place (-12.0)
Tennessee managed just four hits in a 6-0 loss at Jacksonville.
- 2B Jonathan Mota (.174) recorded a pair of doubles for Tennessee.
- SS Elliot Soto (.105) also recorded his second double in three games.
Daytona Cubs (24-34)
5th Place (-16.5)
Daytona used a walk-off RBI-single from 2B Wes Darvill to beat Jupiter, 5-4.
- RHP Felix Pena gave up no earned runs over four innings, striking out seven. Pena has a 1-5 record, despite having allowed one or fewer earned runs in each of his 11 starts.
- RHP Zach Godley (2-1, 6.59) threw 3.2 frames in relief of Pena, allowing one unearned run to earn his second win.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.203) went 2-for-3 with a run, a walk, a homer in the ninth and his 25th RBI.
- CF Albert Almora (.251), DH Dan Vogelbach (.268) and SS Marco Hernandez (.273) also tallied two hits apiece.
Kane County Cougars (40-20)
1st Place (+8.5)
Kane County beat Clinton, 7-3, to improve to a league-best 40-20. The Cougars are just one win away from a 2014 Midwest League Playoff berth.
- RHP Tyler Skulina picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over six innings and fanning five.
- RHP Michael Wagner (4.15) earned his first save with three scoreless innings of work.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.248) went 2-for-4 with two runs, a double (8), an RBI (21) and a stolen base (18).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.293) added two more hits, including a double (12), and had two RBI (24)
- SS Carlos Penalver added an RBI single in the eighth and came in to score on a sacrifice fly from Hannemann later in the inning.