Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/8/14
Iowa continued its run of day game success Sunday, but Tennessee and Daytona couldn’t hold on late in their games, and Kane County had its winning streak snapped . Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (32-28)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa improved to 18-3 in day games this season with a 3-0 victory over visiting Colorado Springs.
- SS Javier Baez (.230) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and his 29th RBI of the season.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.294) batted cleanup and went 2-for-4 with one RBI (29).
- RHP Dallas Beeler posted his fourth-straight quality start, going seven innings and striking out five. Iowa leads the PCL with 37 quality starts.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.45) tossed a scoreless eighth in the second game of his rehab assignment.
- RHP Blake Parker (1.08) worked a scoreless ninth to earn his 13th save of the campaign.
Tennessee Smokies (30-33)
2nd Place (-10.0)
Jacksonville scored a run in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Smokies, 6-5.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.356) homered for the second-straight day, as he went 2-for-4 with his Southern League-leading 21st blast of the season. He also leads the league with 54 RBI.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.222) went 1-for-4 with a ninth-inning solo homer.
- RHPs Lendy Castillo (4.50), Zach Cates (0.00) and Tony Zych (5.00) combined to toss four scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (25-36)
5th Place (-16.5)
Clearwater scored five runs in the seventh inning to defeat visiting Daytona, 8-7.
- CF Albert Almora (.250) and SS Marco Hernandez (.276) each drove in two runs.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.275) went 1-for-3 with a run, a walk and two RBI (19).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (0.95) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (42-21)
1st Place (+8.5)
Kane County had its four-game winning streak snapped, falling at home to Cedar Rapids, 3-2.
- 1B Ben Carhart (.295) recorded a game-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.229) went 1-for-4 with a double (10) and one RBI (32).
- RHP Jose Arias (0.00) allowed just two hits over 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.