Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/9/14
Iowa pounded out 17 runs for an easy win, while Kane County wrapped up the first-half home schedule in fine fashion Monday. Tennessee lost in extras, and Daytona’s bats sputtered. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (33-28)
T-1st Place (–)
Christian Villanueva and Rafael Lopez each belted grand slams to lead the Iowa Cubs to a 17-2 demolition over host Fresno.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada picked up the win, giving up one earned run over six innings pitched.
- SS Javier Baez (.239) kicked off the scoring with a first-inning solo homer. He tied a career-high with four runs and is now hitting .364 (8-for-22) with two home runs and six RBI in seven June games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.313) went 2-for-5 with a ninth-inning grand slam and a career-high seven RBI (7).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.228) reached base four times, going 2-for-5 with two walks, a grand slam and a season-high five RBI (26).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.275) registered his fourth game with at least three hits, going 3-for-6 with two runs scored.
- 1B Logan Watkins (.304), CF Ryan Kalish (.189) and RF Brett Jackson (.202) all had two hits apiece.
- Iowa set season highs in runs (17) and walks (11) while tying a season-high in hits (17).
- The last time Iowa recorded two grand slams in one game was August 12, 2006, at Memphis, when Micah Hoffpauir and Lou Montanez turned the trick.
Tennessee Smokies (30-34)
2nd Place (-10.5)
Jacksonville’s Alex Burg hit a walk-off 10th inning home run to beat the Smokies, 8-7.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.357) homered for the third-straight day, going 2-for-5 with his Southern League-leading 22nd blast of the season. Bryant has five home runs in nine June games after clubbing 12 in 29 May games.
- Bryant was named the Southern League Hitter of the Week for June 2-8, his second-consecutive weekly award and third this season. Bryant batted .417 (10-for-24) with seven runs, three doubles, three homers, five RBI and six walks in seven games during the stretch.
- SS Elliot Soto (.184), C Charlie Cutler (.327), 1B Dustin Geiger (.226), LF Anthony Giansanti (.245) and 2B Jeudy Valdez (.236) all had two hits apiece.
Daytona Cubs (25-37)
5th Place (-17.5)
Daytona managed just six hits in a 2-0 loss at Clearwater.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.281) and C Willson Contreras (.282) recorded multihit efforts.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny fanned a season-high nine, and RHP Stephen Perakslis struck out the side in the eighth inning.
Kane County Cougars (43-21)
1st Place (+8.5)
Kane County wrapped up its first-half home schedule with a 2-1 victory over Cedar Rapids.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.244) and SS Daniel Lockhart (.275) drove in Kane County’s runs.
- LHP Michael Heesch (1-0, 4.91) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.
- RHP James Pugliese (1.23) fanned five over 2.2 perfect relief innings to record his fourth hold.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.40) worked a spotless ninth to convert his seventh save of the campaign.