Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/11/14
Tennessee scored some late runs to earn a victory, and Kane County battled back to salvage a doubleheader split Wednesday. Iowa took a loss while Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (33-30)
3rd Place (-1.0)
Fresno scored seven runs in the first three innings to rout the visiting Iowa Cubs, 10-1.
- 1B Josh Vitters (.215) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 3-for-4 with his 21st RBI of the year.
- LF Ryan Kalish (.214) posted his third multihit game, going 2-for-4 with two stolen bases (3).
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.25) struck out the side in the seventh inning in his third outing as part of a major league rehab assignment.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (3.06) scattered two hits over three scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (31-34)
2nd Place (-11.0)
Tennessee scored a late run in the bottom of the eighth inning to defeat visiting Mississippi, 3-2.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.359) extended his hitting streak to six games (.458/11-for-24), going 2-for-4 with his Southern League-leading 56th RBI.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (7-4, 3.41) worked a scoreless eighth to pick up his team-leading seventh win.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.71) converted his 10th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Kane County Cougars (44-22)
1st Place (+8.5)
GM 1: Kane County managed just two hits in a 2-1 loss in the first game of a doubleheader at Peoria.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.313) went 1-for-3 with a double (14) and his 27th RBI of the season.
- CF Ryan Sweeney (.000) went 0-for-3 in the second game of his major league rehab assignment.
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.93) worked a scoreless inning. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last three relief appearances (6.0 IP).
GM 2: Kane County avoided the doubleheader sweep with a 4-3 victory over Peoria.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.319) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and one RBI (28).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.236), SS Carlos Penalver (.245) and DH Ben Carhart (.295) all had two hits apiece.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.32) struck out the side in the seventh inning to convert his eighth save.