Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/12/14
Every Cubs full-season minor league affiliate was in action Thursday, but only Kane County came away victorious. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (33-31)
3rd Place (-1.5)
Iowa dropped its third-straight game, falling at Fresno, 5-2.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.288) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning solo home run.
- C Rafael Lopez (.318) and LF Josh Vitters (.222) both recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Marcus Hatley (2.77) and Frank Batista (5.40) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (31-35)
2nd Place (-12.0)
Visiting Mississippi scored two runs in the seventh inning to beat Tennessee, 4-2.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up two earned runs over six innings, striking out two.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.359) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.444/12-for-27), going 1-for-3 with two runs scored, one walk and his 19th double of the campaign.
- 1B Charlie Cutler (.328) and CF Rubi Silva (.239) both recorded two hits apiece.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (2.08) struck out all four batters he faced in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (25-40)
5th Place (-20.5)
GM 1: Daytona managed just two hits in a 5-1 loss at Dunedin.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.188) went 1-for-1 with his first homer of the year, a sixth-inning solo shot.
- RHP Michael Jensen (2.83) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
GM 2: Daytona was swept in its doubleheader at Dunedin, falling 5-2 in the nightcap.
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.179) went 1-for-2 with a run, a walk, a double (3), an RBI (8) and two stolen bases (5).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.274) went 1-for-3 with a run scored and his first triple of the season.
- RHP Jose Rosario (4.87) struck out all five hitters he faced in his 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (45-22)
1st Place (+8.5)
Kane County limited host Peoria to just four hits in a 4-1 victory.
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.276) and LF Shawon Dunston (.248) each recorded two hits and one RBI.
- RHP Juan Paniagua tossed his fourth-straight quality start, going six innings, giving up no earned runs and striking out six. He has not allowed a run over his last two starts (12.0 IP).
- RHP James Pugliese (1.19) struck out the side in the ninth inning to earn his second save of the year.
The Short-Season Boise Hawks’ season begins Friday night against Tri-City.