Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/15/14
Iowa snapped a lengthy losing streak, Tennessee battled back to capture a walk-off win, and Boise continued its unbeaten run Sunday. Meanwhile, Kane County lost its third straight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (34-33)
3rd Place (-4.0)
Iowa snapped its five-game losing streak with a 4-3 victory at Sacramento.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks picked up the win, pitching seven innings, fanning six and giving up two earned runs.
- SS Javier Baez (.223) went 2-for-4 with a go-ahead, two-run homer in the eighth.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.276) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his 16th double of the season.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2.67) struck out two in the ninth inning to earn his first save of the campaign.
Tennessee Smokies (33-36)
2nd Place (-12.5)
The Smokies scored four runs in the ninth inning and tallied one more in the bottom of the 11th for a 7-6, walk-off win over Mississippi.
- SS Elliot Soto (.164) went 1-for-3 with a walk-off RBI-single in the 11th inning.
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.261) and 2B Stephen Bruno (.291) each recorded three hits apiece.
- RF Rubi Silva (.243) went 3-for-6 with a run, a team-high two RBI (30) and one stolen base (5).
- RHP Armando Rivero (2-1, 1.56) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win.
Kane County Cougars (45-25)
1st Place (+6.5)
Kane County dropped its third-straight game, falling at Beloit 5-4 in 12 innings.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.322) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.245) each blasted solo home runs.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.235) went 3-for-5 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- LHP Michael Heesch (3.86) allowed just one walk in two scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (3-0)
1st Place (+1.0)
Boise remained undefeated on the season with an 11-9 victory over visiting Tri-City.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.636) went 1-for-2 with a third-inning, solo home run.
- C Justin Marra (.500) went 2-for-4 with a sixth-inning, three-run blast.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.286) went 2-for-4 with two runs, an RBI (1) and one stolen base (1).
- RHP Yomar Morel (1-0, 10.12) allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits in 2.2 innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.