Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/16/2014
It was a tough showing for the Cubs’ minor league affiliates Monday, as Iowa, Daytona and Boise all came out on the wrong side of the ledger. But slugging Tennessee third baseman Kris Bryant did manage to hit 16 home runs to claim the Southern League Home Run Derby crown, and 2014 first-round pick Kyle Schwarber continues to mash. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (34-34)
3rd Place (-4.5)
Iowa managed just five hits in a 5-1 loss at Sacramento.
- DH Ryan Kalish (.207) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning, solo home run.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.290) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (13).
- RHP Frank Batista (3.86) allowed just one hit in two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (25-41)
5th Place (-20.5)
Daytona lost its seventh-straight game, falling to visiting Tampa, 7-2.
- C Willson Contreras (.287) went 1-for-3 with a sixth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.275) went 1-for-3 with a walk and his seventh double of the campaign.
- RHP Zack Godley (5.40) struck out the side in a scoreless ninth inning of work.
Boise Hawks (3-1)
T-1st Place (–)
Boise was dealt its first loss of the 2014 campaign, falling to visiting Tri-City, 4-3, in 10 innings.
- RHP Josh Conway started and gave up four hits over three scoreless innings, striking out three and walking none.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.563) went 2-for-5 with a triple (1). He’s hit safely in all four games this season.
- 1B Daniel Canela (.455) and CF Rashad Crawford (.333) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RF Oliver Zapata (.250) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a double (2) and one RBI (2).