Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/18/14
Strong pitching carried Iowa, and Daytona wrapped up the first half with a victory Wednesday. Meanwhile, Boise couldn’t get the bats going, and Tennessee and Kane County both enjoyed time off for the All-Star break. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (35-35)
3rd Place (-4.5)
Iowa snapped its two-game skid with a 3-1 victory over visiting El Paso.
- RHP Dallas Beeler picked up the win with six scoreless innings, giving up just three hits and fanning six.
- 1B Josh Vitters (.226) went 3-for-4 with a fifth-inning, solo home run.
- C Rafael Lopez (.278) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and his 10th RBI of the season.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2.57) and LHP Zac Rosscup (3.21) each recorded holds.
- RHP Blake Parker (1.45) converted his 14th save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning of work.
Daytona Cubs (26-42)
5th Place (-19.5)
Daytona finished its first half of the season with an 11-2 victory over visiting Tampa.
- RHP Tayler Scott gave up two earned runs over six innings and struck out two to pick up the win.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.201) went 1-for-5 with a first-inning grand slam.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.282) went 3-for-4 with his second homer of the season and three RBI (22).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.268) went 3-for-5 with a run, a triple (6) and one RBI (17).
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.259) and LF Bijan Rademacher (.292) each had two hits apiece.
Boise Hawks (4-2)
T-1st Place (–)
- DH David Bote (.375) went 1-for-3 with an eighth-inning, solo home run.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.150) went 1-for-3 with his second RBI of the season.
- RHP Trey Masek (0.00) struck out four hitters in two scoreless innings of relief.