Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/19/14
The top four levels all won their respective games, including Tennessee’s win in walk-off fashion Thursday. Boise wasn’t able to secure a victory, losing in 11 innings. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (36-35)
3rd Place (-3.5)
3B Kris Bryant hit a two-run homer in his Triple-A debut as Iowa beat visiting El Paso, 6-2.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over 6.2 innings, striking out seven.
- Bryant (.250) launched a two-run shot in the final at-bat of his debut, finishing 1-for-4.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara (.280, 31 RBI), 2B Chris Valaika (.295, 34 RBI), and 1B Josh Vitters (.232, 24 RBI) tallied two singles and one RBI each.
- In relief of Wada’s ninth quality start, RHP Yoanner Negrin (4.74) earned his first save with four strikeouts over 2.1 scoreless frames.
Tennessee Smokies (1-0)
T-1st Place (–)
After Chattanooga knotted the game at 3-3 in the top of the ninth, the Smokies came away with a 4-3 win in their first game of the second half thanks to a walk-off single from 3B Christian Villanueva.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up one earned run over six innings, striking out one and walking one.
- RF Rubi Silva (.251) went 3-for-4 with a sixth-inning homer and one stolen base (6).
- Villanueva (.400) finished 2-for-5 with the walk-off RBI base hit in his first game since being transferred from Iowa.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.297) and C Charlie Cutler (.333) each added two singles.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (5.40, 7 H) and RHPs Zach Cates (0.00, 2 H) and Tony Zych (4.31, 3 H) each earned a hold in a combined two frames of one-run ball before LHP Hunter Cervenka (2.96) blew his second-consecutive save opportunity. In relief of Cervenka, RHP Frank Batista (2.08, 1-0) struck out the final two Lookouts, earning himself his first win.
Daytona Cubs (1-0)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona began the second half with a 7-4 victory at Brevard County.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.266) went 3-for-5 with two runs, a double (15), a homer (6) and two RBI (28).
- CF Albert Almora (.244) went 2-for-5 with a run and a double (14).
- C Willson Contreras (.279) and 3B Wes Darvill (.222) each added a double.
- RHP Starling Peralta (4-1, 3.49) earned the win in relief with 4.2 perfect innings. LHP Andrew McKirahan (0.92) spun a scoreless ninth to record his sixth save.
Kane County Cougars (1-0)
T-1st Place (–)
Kane County tallied seven runs on eight-straight hits, including an inside-the-park home run from CF Jacob Hannemann, in the third inning of a rain-shortened 7-0 victory over visiting Cedar Rapids.
- RHP Daury Torrez pitched five scoreless innings, picking up the win.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.242) went 2-for-3 with a run, the homer and two RBI (27).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.248) notched his 18th double and his 29th RBI.
- 2B Danny Lockhart went 1-for-2 with two RBI (18).
- In his first game with Kane County, LF Kyle Schwarber went 1-for-3 with a run and an RBI.
Boise Hawks (4-3)
2nd Place (-1.0)
- C Justin Marra (.364) ripped his third homer, a two-run shot in the third, and his fourth double, finishing 2-for-6 with three runs and three RBI (10).
- LF Kevin Brown (.320) went 3-for-5 with three runs, a walk, and two doubles (3).
- 3B David Bote (.350) finished 1-for-4 with two walks, a double (3), an RBI (3), and two of Boise’s four stolen bases (4).
- RHP Josh Davis (3.00) blew his second save in as many games, allowing three unearned runs over one inning.
- LHP Alberto Diaz (0-1, 3.86) suffered his first loss, allowing a bases-loaded single to Eugene 2B Jalen Goree in the bottom of the 11th.