Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/22/14
Iowa battled back behind an excellent night from Kris Bryant, Tennessee’s pitching was good enough to secure a win, Daytona rallied late, and Mesa picked up its first victory of the year. Kane County managed to split a doubleheader, while Boise continued to sputter. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (38-36)
3rd Place (-3.0)
Thanks to a two-homer night from 3B Kris Bryant, Iowa erased a 5-2 deficit to beat Albuquerque at home, 7-6.
- Following two consecutive hitless games with six strikeouts, 3B Kris Bryant (.188) launched his second and third home runs since joining Iowa. He finished with two runs and three RBI (5).
- 1B Chris Valaika (.303) went 3-for-4 with a two-run shot in the third to put Iowa on the board. In his last six games, he is 10-for-21 (.476) with four runs, three doubles, two homers and four RBI.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.283) and C Rafael Lopez (.300) added two hits apiece, including Alcantara’s league-leading 10th triple.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1-0, 0.00) pitched a perfect eighth to get the win.
- RHP Blake Parker (1.37) recorded his league-best 15th save, allowing one unearned run in the ninth.
Tennessee Smokies (3-1)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee recorded its fifth shutout of 2014, blanking the visiting Lookouts, 4-0, to clinch the series win.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa pitched five scoreless innings, striking out three.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.313) hit a two-run shot, his first with the Smokies after tallying six with Iowa.
- With the departure of Kris Bryant to Iowa, 1B Dustin Geiger (.224) now leads the team with 10 homers. He finished 1-for-2 with a two-run round-tripper of his own.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (8-4, 3.26) earned the win in relief, spinning two scoreless innings.
- RF Rubi Silva (.256) went 1-for-3 with a run scored. He was honored as the Southern League Hitter of the Week for June 16-22, after batting .467 in four games with seven hits, one triple, two home runs and four RBI.
Daytona Cubs (3-1)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona’s wild four-run eighth inning carried the Cubs to a 4-2 victory over host Tampa.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up no earned runs over five innings, striking out four.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.267) broke up a no-hit bid for Tampa LHP Miguel Sulbaran in the sixth with a one-out double. His 17 two-baggers are tied for seventh in the league.
- Daytona was limited to just one hit until the eighth, when CF Zeke Devoss (.187), 2B Wes Darvill (.265) and RF Bijan Rademacher (.283) loaded the bases on two singles and a walk, respectively. Thanks to a throwing error by Tampa 1B Matt Snyder, C Willson Contreras (.270) came all the way around on a bases-loaded single, and Iowa took a 4-1 lead.
- RHP Michael Jensen (4-2, 2.67) earned his fourth win, going 2.2 innings and giving up one run.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.17) followed with one earned run over 1.1 frames for his seventh save.
Kane County Cougars (3-1)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Game 1: Kane County tallied only three hits at home off Cedar Rapids pitching. The Kernels won, 5-0.
- With no run support, RHP Pierce Johnson suffered the loss in his first appearance with the Cougars. He gave up one run over four innings, striking out two.
- 2B David Bote (.221) notched the Cougars’ lone extra-base hit, his 10th double of the season.
Game 2: Kane County came back in the nightcap with a seven-inning, walk-off, 3-2 win. After 1B Jacob Rogers homered to tie it, DH Jacob Hannemann continued the heroics with a bases-loaded single.
- Rogers (.255) finished 2-for-3, including his seventh homer and 19th double of the season. Both figures lead the team.
- Hannemann’s walk-off single was the third time he reached base, having walked twice in the contest.
- RHP James Pugliese (3-0, 1.27) earned the win in relief, allowing the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh before the Cougars offense picked him up with the two runs in the bottom half of the inning.
Boise Hawks (4-6)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
Boise lost its fifth-straight contest, falling to host Spokane, 6-2.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.231) hit an RBI triple in the top of the second, becoming the second Northwest Leaguer with two triples.
- RHP Ryan McNeil (0-1, 6.75) surrendered two runs in 2.2 frames and was saddled with his first loss of the season.
Mesa Cubs (1-1)
3rd Place (-1.0)
- SS Gleyber Torres (.273) went 3-for-6 with two runs, a walk, a triple, a two-run homer (in the 11th inning), four RBI (4) and two stolen bases (2).
- DH Shamil Ubiera (.300) went 2-for-5 with a run, a walk, a double (1), a three-run homer, three RBI (4) and a stolen base (1).
- CF Charcer Burks (.545) went 4-for-6 with three runs, a double (1) and four RBI (4).
- RHP Yomar Morel (1-0, 0.00) allowed an inherited runner to score in the ninth and suffered his first blown save. He ended up earning the win with no earned runs and four strikeouts over 2.2 innings.