Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/23/14
Only Iowa and Mesa picked up victories Monday, with Tennessee, Daytona and Boise all on the losing end of the scoreboard. Meanwhile, Kane County had a scheduled off-day and will pick up the action Tuesday night. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (39-36)
3rd Place (-2.0)
3B Kris Bryant hit his third homer in two nights as the I-Cubs topped the visiting Isotopes, 4-3, for their second consecutive one-run win. Iowa is 11-8 in one-run games on the season.
- RHP Dallas Beeler earned the win, pitching six innings, giving up three earned runs and striking out two.
- Bryant (.222) is 4-for-18 with four home runs in five games since joining Iowa. He finished 1-for-2 with two walks, a run, the solo shot and one RBI (6). Between his time in Tennessee and now Iowa, Bryant has homered once every 10.23 at-bats this season (26 HR, 266 AB).
- 1B Chris Valaika (.304) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a double. In his last six games, he is 11-for-24 (.458) with four runs, four doubles, two homers and four RBI.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.286), SS Javier Baez (.226) and LF Matt Szczur (.244) all tallied two singles apiece. Baez also swiped his 14th bag, tied for 11th in the league.
- After Beeler’s seventh quality start in 10 tries, RHP Arodys Vizcaino (13.50, 1 H) and LHP Zac Rosscup (2.76, 6 H) each threw a scoreless frame to earn holds. RHP Blake Parker followed with a scoreless ninth to convert his league-leading 16th save.
Tennessee Smokies (3-2)
T-1st Place (–)
Tennessee fell to 3-2 in their five-game home series with Chattanooga to begin the second half of the season. The Lookouts jumped ahead with a three-run first and never looked back, winning 7-3.
- Tennessee tallied just four singles on the day, including a pinch-hit, two-out single from Taylor Davis (.286, 13 RBI) to knock in two in the seventh inning.
- After Gardner lasted just 3.2 innings, LHP Jeffry Antigua (1.80), RHP Lendy Castillo (3.15), LHP Jeff Lorick (5.45) and RHP Tony Zych (3.93) combined to allow just one earned run over 5.1 innings, fanning six and walking just one.
Daytona Cubs (3-2)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona did not produce a run on seven hits and two walks, falling 8-0 to host Tampa.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.286) notched Daytona’s lone extra-base hit with a third-inning double (1).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) and CF Albert Almora (.247) each swatted two singles.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.25) provided 3.1 scoreless innings of relief. Five of his last seven relief appearances have been for more than three outs. He has kept opponents scoreless in six of his last eight games.
Boise Hawks (4-7)
4th Place (-3.0)
After beginning the season 4-1, the Hawks have dropped their last six, all on the road, including yesterday’s 12-6 defeat at the hands of first-place Spokane.
- 1B Daniel Canela (.278) launched his second homer of the season to lead off the fourth. He ranks third on the team with 17 total bases.
- LF Kevin Brown (.317) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (6), a triple (1) and two RBI (8).
- Eight of the nine Hawks hitters recorded at least one hit.
Mesa Cubs (2-1)
T-1st Place (–)
Down 6-3, Mesa took over with a five-run sixth inning to beat the host Angels, 9-6.
- CF Charcer Burks (.600) continued his tear, going 3-for-4 with two runs, two doubles (3), two RBI (6) and a stolen base (2). After three games, Burks leads the Arizona League in average, slugging percentage (.933) and OPS (1.533). He sits tied for the league lead in OBP (.600, tied with teammate Alberto Mineo), runs (7), hits (9) and doubles (3).
- Four Mesa hitters—1B Alberto Mineo (.556), DH Tyler Alamo (.333), LF Ricardo Marcano (.267) and 3B Adonis Paula (.250)—finished with two hits in five tries at the plate.
- C Tyler Pearson (.200) recorded his first hit of the season, a fourth-inning triple. He scored two runs.
- RHP Jeferson Mejia (1-0, 0.00) struck out nine over five innings of relief, allowing two unearned runs and earning his first win.
- The Cubs have scored 33 runs in their first three games (9, 15, 9).