Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/24/14
It was a solid day for the Cubs minor league sides, as they went a combined 5-1 Tuesday. Boise was the only squad unable to add a win to the victory column. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (40-36)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Kris Bryant hit a go-ahead homer for the third-straight game, as Iowa beat visiting Albuquerque, 6-2.
- Bryant (.238) is 5-for-21 with five home runs in six games since joining Iowa, including four homers in the last three games. He finished 1-for-3 with a walk, a run and three RBI (9). Between his time in Tennessee and now Iowa, Bryant has homered once every 9.96 at-bats this season (27 HR, 269 AB)
- Bryant and SS Javier Baez (1-for-2, 2 BB, RBI) were named to the All-Star Futures Game at Minnesota’s Target Field on July 13.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.290, 19 2B, 33 RBI) and LF Josh Vitters (.238, 9 2B, 25 RBI) had two hits apiece, including a double and an RBI each. Alcantara has five multihit efforts in his last six games, going 10-for-24 (.417) with five runs, three doubles, a triple and four stolen bases over the stretch.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada fanned 10 for the second time this season, earning the win with his 10th quality start of the campaign.
Tennessee Smokies (4-2)
1st Place (+0.5)
Tennessee moved into sole possession of first place with a rain-shortened, 6-2, win at Jackson.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up one earned run over 5.2 innings, striking out three for the win.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.333) went 3-for-4 with a run, three doubles (4) and two RBI (6). It was his first game this season with three extra-base hits.
- DH Stephen Bruno (.298) went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and his 23rd RBI. Each of the Smokies outfielders—CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.202, 17 RBI), RF Rubi Silva (.252, 36 RBI) and LF Anthony Giansanti (.246, 8 RBI)—went 1-for-4 with an RBI.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (3.10) earned the save (1), striking out the only batter he faced to end the game.
Daytona Cubs (4-2)
T-1st Place (–)
After Dunedin tied the game at 5-5 in the top of the eighth, CF Albert Almora gave Daytona the lead in the bottom of the frame with a solo homer. The Cubs won, 6-5.
- Almora (.254) finished 3-for-5 with two singles and the solo shot, his third of the season.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.277), LF Bijan Rademacher (.287) and 1B Rock Shoulders (.214) had two hits each as part of a 13-hit Cubs attack. Eight out of nine D-Cubs hitters had at least one hit.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (2-1, 1.11) earned his second relief victory of the season.
Kane County Cougars (4-1)
T-1st Place (–)
The Cougars scored six runs in the first three innings, topping the visiting Timber Rattlers, 9-3.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) finished 3-for-4 with two runs, a walk, his team-leading fifth triple, two RBI (31) and two stolen bases (21).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.244), 1B Jacob Rogers (.258) and RF Trey Martin (.235) added two singles apiece.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.238, 13 2B), 3B Jeimer Candelario (.125, 2 2B) and LF Kyle Schwarber (.400, 2 2B) each tallied a double.
- Martin set a Cougars record with five stolen bases, surpassing Michael Richard who stole four bags in a game in 2008.
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.33) earned his third hold with three scoreless frames.
Boise Hawks (4-8)
4th Place (-3.0)
Boise lost its seventh-straight game on the road, falling 7-3 at Spokane. The Hawks have been outscored 50-27 over the seven-game skid, after outscoring their opponents 40-23 in their first five games (4-1).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.143) went 2-for-4 with a run and two RBI on his first homer, a two-run shot in the seventh inning.
- SS Varonex Cuevas (.115) finished 1-for-3 with a run and his first double of the season.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.174) tallied one hit in four tries, recorded his sixth RBI and swiped his seventh base, good for third in the league.
Mesa Cubs (3-1)
1st Place (+1.0)
Mesa earned their third win over the visiting Angels with a 4-2 victory at home.
- RHP Luis Hernandez pitched five scoreless innings, striking out two to get the win.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.333) and C Tyler Alamo (.385) ripped two singles each, while CF Charcer Burks (.556) and RF Shamil Ubiera (.222) both doubled once in three at-bats.
- After five scoreless frames from Hernandez, RHPs Brad Markey (9.00) and Jose Arias (0.00) each tossed a scoreless inning for their first holds.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (4.50) followed with one earned run in two frames to earn his first save.
- The Cubs have scored 37 runs in their first four games (9, 15, 9, 4).