Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/25/14
Tennessee had a big inning, Daytona posted a shutout, and Boise snapped its lengthy losing streak Wednesday. On the other side of the ledger, Kane County surrendered a lead late, while Iowa and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (5-2)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee scored three in the sixth inning to jump ahead of host Jackson, winning by a final score of 4-2.
- RHP Matt Loosen picked up the win, giving up an earned run over six innings and striking out five.
- Tennessee’s nine hits were spread out over eight hitters, with DH Christian Villanueva (.357) recording the lone multihit effort. He went 2-for-4 and has five hits in the last two nights.
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.248) blasted his second homer of the season to add an insurance run with two outs in the ninth.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (5.40) allowed one earned run in two innings to earn his eighth hold.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.23) completed the ninth, recording all three outs for his first save.
Daytona Cubs (5-2)
T-1st Place (+1.0)
Daytona blanked the visiting Blue Jays, 7-0, backing a solid outing from RHP Jose Rosario with three home runs.
- Rosario pitched six strong innings, giving up no earned runs and fanning four to earn the win.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.271) finished 3-for-4 with two runs, a double, a homer and two RBI. He is hitting .353 with six doubles and four homers in 68 at-bats at DH (compared to .242 with 12 doubles and three homers in 194 at-bats at first base).
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.215) and C Chadd Krist (.212) hit back-to-back home runs in the fourth.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.289) recorded his 12th multihit game of the season, going 2-for-4 with two runs.
Kane County Cougars (4-2)
3rd Place (-1.0)
Kane County surrendered a one-run lead in the sixth to fall 3-2 to visiting Wisconsin.
- RHP Tyler Skulina gave up one earned run, striking out five over five innings.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.421) went 2-for-4 with his second home run in a Cougars uniform and his first stolen base at the professional level.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.251) finished 1-for-3 with a run and two stolen bases (23). He has posted back-to-back games with multiple stolen bases for the first time in his career.
- RHP Zak Hermans (2-2, 5.17) recorded just one out, allowing two runs (one earned) and recording both his first hold and second loss of the season.
- RHP Corbin Hoffner relieved Hermans and suffered his third blown save, allowing two inherited runners to score in the sixth but giving up no more runs in 2.2 innings.
Boise Hawks (5-8)
4th Place (-3.0)
Boise snapped a seven-game skid with an 8-4 victory over Spokane, their first road victory of the season.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.176) led off the game with his second homer, finishing the day 1-for-5 with a run and two RBI (8).
- DH Kevin Brown (.320) added a two-run shot and a single in five tries.
- 1B Mark Malave (.333) has hit in five straight games, singling twice on the day and knocking in one (2).
- LHP Tyler Ihrig’s quality start was Boise’s first in 13 games this season. He leads the team with 18.0 innings pitched.