Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/29/14
The Cubs farm system managed a clean sweep of its opponents Sunday, going a perfect 6-0. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (43-38)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa posted its seventh shutout of the season with a 2-0 victory at Colorado Springs.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada continued his strong season, going 6.2 scoreless innings, striking out eight and walking just one to improve his record to 9-4.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 2-for-4 with a double (22) to extend his hitting streak to eight games. He’s batting .500 (17-for-34) with four doubles, a triple, two homers, eight RBI and nine runs scored during his streak.
- SS Javier Baez (.239) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (14) and one RBI (46).
- RHP Blake Parker (1.17) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his 17th save of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (8-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee scored four runs in the eighth inning to beat visiting Montgomery, 6-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee struck out a season-high 10 hitters over seven innings, giving up one earned run and walking none.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.209) went 1-for-5 with a game-high three RBI (20).
- DH Charlie Cutler (.329) and C Luis Flores (.333) each recorded three hits apiece.
Daytona Cubs (8-3)
T-1st Place (–)
After giving up three runs in the top of the 11th, Daytona came back and scored four in the bottom of the frame for a comeback, 9-8 win over Lakeland.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.279) went 2-for-5 with a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 11th inning.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.288) went 1-for-5 with a team-high three RBI (27).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.285) and CF Albert Almora (.259) each had two hits and two RBI.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (1-5, 6.26) earned the win despite allowing three runs on two hits in the 11th.
Kane County Cougars (8-2)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County won its fourth-straight game, beating host Beloit, 9-7.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.311) hit a two-run triple in the ninth to complete a cycle and break a 7-7 tie. He finished 4-for-5 with three runs scored, a two run homer and four RBI (18).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.262) went 2-for-5 with three RBI (34) and a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.245) and LF Trey Martin (.237) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Corbin Hoffner (2-1, 4.05) picked up the win, while RHP Tyler Bremer (2.57) earned his 10th save.
Boise Hawks (7-10)
4th Place (-4.0)
Boise used a five-run second inning to roll past host Tri-City, 6-2.
- RHP Trevor Graham picked up the win, giving up no earned runs over six innings and striking out four.
- Jeffrey Baez (.185) went 1-for-5 with a second-inning two-run homer.
- 1B Dan Canela (.304) recorded a game-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with a run scored and two doubles (4).
- LHP Sam Wilson (0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first save of the year.
Mesa Cubs (5-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Mesa scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a Bryant Flete sacrifice fly for a 5-4 walk-off win over the AZL Giants.
- RF Jorge Soler (.583) went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- DH Kevonte Mitchell (.750) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- RHP Jeferson Mejia (2-0, 0.00) allowed two unearned runs in four innings of relief to earn the win.