Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/30/14
Iowa brought the big bats and came away with a walk-off win, but Tennessee lost in walk-off fashion while Boise’s opponents scored some big runs late on Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (44-38)
1st Place (+0.5)
Josh Vitters hit a walk-off single with the bases loaded in the 10th inning to lift Iowa over Omaha, 7-6.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.333) went 2-for-4 with an eighth inning grand slam.
- DH Manny Ramirez (.375) went 3-for-4 with a seventh-inning, two-run homer.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 1-for-4 with a run scored to extend his hitting streak to nine games. He’s batting .474 (18-for-38) with four doubles, a triple, two homers, eight RBI, and 10 runs scored during his streak. He was named the PCL Player of the Week for June 23-29, batting a league-best .517 last week with six multi-hit games.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2-1, 2.27) earned the win after tossing a scoreless top of the 10th inning.
Tennessee Smokies (8-4)
1st Place (+1.0)
Montgomery tallied a run in the top of the 10th inning to beat Tennessee, 3-2.
- SS Elliot Soto (.185) recorded Tennessee’s lone multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (4) and one RBI (6).
- LHP Jeff Lorick (5.21) and RHP Lendy Castillo (2.74) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
- RHP Matt Loosen was dealt a no-decision despite tossing his fifth quality start of the campaign.
- Right-hander Dae-Eun Rhee has been named the league’s Pitcher of the Week for the time period between June 23-29. Rhee posted a 2-0 record and 1.42 ERA (2 ER in 12.2 IP), adding 13 strikeouts while only walking three.
Boise Hawks (7-11)
4th Place (-4.0)
Host Tri-City scored nine runs over the final two innings to beat Boise, 11-5.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.259) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and a team-high three RBI (8).
- LF Mark Zagunis (.333) and 3B Jesse Hodges (.183) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.188) went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and his eighth stolen base of the year.