Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/1/14
Iowa racked up a pair of wins Tuesday, and Tennessee, Kane County, Boise and Mesa were also victorious. Only Daytona was on the losing end of the scoreboard. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (46-38)
1st Place (+2.0)
GM 1: Iowa won its third-straight game, beating visiting Omaha, 5-3.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks gave up three earned runs over six innings, striking out seven and picking up his 10th win of the year.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara (.305) went 1-for-3 with a run scored and a stolen base (19) to extend his hitting streak to 10 games.
- RF Brett Jackson (.205) went 2-for-3 with a game-high three RBI (11) and a triple (3).
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.89) tossed a scoreless seventh inning to earn his first save of the year.
GM 2: Brett Jackson hit a walkoff, three-run homer in the eighth inning to lift Iowa over Omaha, 7-4.
- Jackson (.215) finished the doubleheader going 4-for-6 with a homer and six RBI.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.333) went 2-for-4 with two runs, a double (4) and two RBI (17).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.307) went 2-for-4 with a stolen base (20) to extend his hitting streak to 11 games. He’s batting .467 (21-for-45) with four doubles, a triple, two homers, eight RBI, and 10 runs scored during his streak.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2-0, 2.84) struck out five and allowed two runs in two innings to earn the win.
Tennessee Smokies (9-4)
1st Place (+2.0)
Tennessee scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to rally past Montgomery, 6-5.
- RHP Corey Black pitched 4.2 innings, giving up no runs on four hits and four walks.
- SS Elliot Soto (.208) batted leadoff and went 3-for-4 with a run, a double (5) and one RBI (7).
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.220) also recorded three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run and a double (4).
- LF Kevin Brown (.417) and C Charles Cutler (.335) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Zach Cates (1-1, 2.61) earned the win, while RHP Frank Batista (0.87) earned his third save.
Daytona Cubs (8-4)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Daytona managed just five hits in a 3-0 loss to visiting Brevard County.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.275) recorded the D-Cubs’ lone multihit game, going 2-for-3.
- CF Albert Almora (.259) and 3B Wes Darvill (.254) each had a hit.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.49) struck out two over 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (9-2)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County scored six runs in the bottom of the third inning to beat visiting Peoria, 6-1.
- RHP Paul Blackburn pitched six scoreless innings, striking out three and picking up the win.
- 2B Ben Carhart (.280) went 1-for-4 with a third-inning, three-run homer.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.171) went 1-for-4 with a double (3) and two RBI (6).
- RHP Jose Arias (2.00) allowed just one hit in two scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (8-11)
T-2nd Place (-4.0)
Boise used a 19-hit attack to rout host Tri-City, 14-3. The 19 hits by the Hawks were their most since recording 20 hits vs. Yakima in 2009.
- LHP Tyler Ihrig gave up two earned runs over six innings, striking out five and walking none to secure the win.
- Jesse Hodges (.215) went 3-for-5 with three runs scored, two home runs and a career-high six RBI (12). The six RBI are the most by a Boise player since Kyler Burke had six vs. Vancouver during the 2008 season.
- 1B Daniel Canela (.323) reached base five times, going a perfect 4-for-4 with three runs scored, a walk and one RBI (8).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.216) batted leadoff and went 3-for-5 with an eighth-inning two-run homer.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.271), LF Mark Zagunis (.385), DH Mark Malave (.244) and 2B Zak Blair (.250) all had multihit games.
Mesa Cubs (6-3)
1st Place (+0.5)
Mesa scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to beat the visiting AZL Reds, 6-4.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.313) reached base four times, going 3-for-3 with a run, a walk and one RBI (7).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.400) and 1B Ricardo Marcano (.250) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Ryan Williams (1-0, 0.00) earned the win, while RHP Yomar Morel (0.00) picked up his first save.