Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/2/14
Iowa continued its winning streak, Tennessee hurled a shutout, Boise racked up another victory and Mesa rallied for a win Wednesday. Meanwhile, errors cost Daytona, and Kane County couldn’t prevent a few big innings. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (47-38)
1st Place (+3.0)
Iowa won its fifth-straight game, beating visiting Omaha, 4-3.
- LHP Chris Rusin gave up one earned run over seven innings to secure the win.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.310) went 2-for-4 with a run, a triple (11) and one RBI (40) to extend his hitting streak to 12 games. He’s batting .469 (23-for-49) with four doubles, two triples, two homers, nine RBI and 11 runs scored during his streak.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.345) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (5), an RBI (18) and one stolen base (1).
- RHP Blake Parker (1.44) earned his 18th save of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (10-4)
1st Place (+2.5)
Tennessee held visiting Montgomery to just three hits for a 7-0 victory.
- C Luis Flores (.261) went 1-for-3 with a fifth-inning, solo home run.
- LF Kevin Brown (.500) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (1) and two RBI (4).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.218) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (10) and a game-high three RBI (25).
- RHP Pierce Johnson got the win in his return from the disabled list, pitching 7.1 scoreless innings and striking out five. Johnson hasn’t allowed a run in his last two starts, spanning 11.1 innings.
Daytona Cubs (8-5)
3rd Place (-2.0)
Daytona committed three errors in a 4-3 loss at Brevard County.
- CF Albert Almora (.266) recorded his third multihit game in his last four, going 3-for-3 with two runs scored, a walk and his 16th double of the year.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.277) went 1-for-3 with a team-high two RBI (41).
Kane County Cougars (9-3)
1st Place (+0.5)
Visiting Peoria scored six times in the first two innings to beat Kane County, 8-5.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.262) and DH Yasiel Balaguert (.248) had two hits apiece.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.390) went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.267) and C Will Remillard (.307) both walked three times.
Boise Hawks (9-11)
T-2nd Place (-4.0)
Boise won its second-straight at Tri-City, beating the Dust Devils, 8-3.
- RHP Erick Leal gave up no earned runs in six innings to pick up his second win of the year.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.229) homered for the third time in his last two games, going 2-for-5 with a third-inning, two-run shot.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.438), C Mark Malave (.267) and SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.233) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Brad Markley (0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (7-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Mesa tallied two runs in the seventh inning to beat the visiting AZL Padres, 6-4.
- DH Eloy Jimenez (.444) went 2-for-4 with a sixth-inning, two-run homer.
- C Alberto Mineo (.360) and LF Ricardo Marcano (.278) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (1-0, 5.25) earned the win, and RHP Carlos Llano (4.50) earned his first save.