Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/6/14
Iowa, Tennessee and Boise all picked up wins, while Kane County and Mesa both fell short Sunday. Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (48-41)
1st Place (+2.0)
Iowa recorded seven extra-base hits in a 5-4 victory at Oklahoma City.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.357) went 1-for-4 with a second-inning, two-run blast.
- SS Javier Baez (.241) and LF Ryan Kalish (.213) each hit solo home runs.
- DH Manny Ramirez (.263) went 2-for-4 with his third RBI of the season.
- RHP Armando Rivero (3-0, 2.16) earned the win.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.70) picked up his second save.
Tennessee Smokies (11-7)
1st Place (+0.5)
Tennessee scored five runs in the fourth inning to cruise past host Birmingham, 9-1.
- RHP Corey Black surrendered one earned run over six innings, striking out six to secure the win.
- DH Jorge Soler (.345) went 2-for-5 with a sixth-inning, solo home run.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.239) and 1B Dustin Geiger (.220) each had three hits. Geiger also drove in three (33).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.263), 2B Stephen Bruno (.288) and C Charles Cutler (.333) all had multihit efforts.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (12-4)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County dropped a 14-inning marathon at Clinton, falling to the LumberKings, 2-1.
- RHP Tyler Skulina gave up one earned run on six hits and no walks over six innings.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.256), DH Ben Carhart (.277), 3B Jeimer Candelario (.157) and 2B David Bote (.216) all had two hits apiece.
- RHPs Jen-Ho Tseng (2.93) and James Pugliese (1.31) combined to toss seven scoreless innings of ball.
Boise Hawks (12-12)
2nd Place (-3.0)
Boise won for the fifth time in its last six games, beating visiting Eugene, 10-5.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.289) went 3-for-5 with a double (3) and a game-high three RBI (11).
- 2B Chesny Young (1.000) went a perfect 3-for-3 with three runs scored, a double (1) and two RBI (3).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.240), C Justin Marra (.293) and LF Mark Zagunis (.414) all had two hits.
- RHP Josh Davis (1-0, 4.50) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.
Mesa Cubs (8-4)
1st Place (+1.0)
The Mesa Cubs committed seven errors in a 7-5 loss at the AZL Angels.
- Rehabbing Cubs right-hander Kyuji Fujikawa got the start and tossed a scoreless first inning.
- C Tyler Alamo (.296) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (1) and one RBI (5).
- 3B Varonex Cuevas (.500) went 2-for-4 with a team-high two RBI (2).