Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/9/14
Iowa claimed an extra-innings victory, Boise continued its winning streak and Daytona took the first game in the doubleheader Wednesday. Kane County couldn’t drive in runners and Mesa was defeated again. Meanwhile, Tennessee had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (49-43)
1st Place (+1.5)
Logan Watkins hit a 14th-inning, solo home run to lift the Cubs over host Omaha, 2-1. Watkins’ blast was the only hit the I-Cubs recorded in their last 10 innings of the game.
- Watkins (.265) finished the game going 1-for-6 with the home run.
- LF Josh Vitters (.217) went 1-for-5 with a double (12) and one RBI (30).
- LHP Eric Jokisch finished with a career-high 11 strikeouts while recording his 11th quality start, giving up one earned run over seven innings.
- LHP Michael Heesch (1-0, 0.00) earned the win in his Triple-A debut, tossing three scoreless innings.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.61) picked up his third save of the season.
Daytona Cubs (12-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
GM 1: Daytona allowed just one hit in a 4-1 victory over visiting Dunedin.
- RHP Felix Pena gave up one earned run over 5.2 innings, fanning seven to earn the win.
- CF Albert Almora (.279) went 2-for-3 with his 42nd RBI of the season.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.279) and 3B Jordan Hankins (.211) had two hits apiece. Hankins drove in two (6).
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.28) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first save of the year.
GM 2: Dunedin used a four-run, third-inning to defeat Daytona, 8-6.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.206) went 1-for-2 with two walks and a second-inning, solo home run.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.287) and LF Zeke DeVoss (.172) had two hits apiece.
- RF Billy McKinney (.300) went 1-for-2 with a walk and two RBI (2).
Kane County Cougars (13-5)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position, as they fell at Quad Cities, 3-1.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.377) went 1-for-3 with a run, a walk and his eighth double of the season.
- DH Ben Carhart (.277), 3B Jeimer Candelario (.203) and CF Trey Martin (.233) had two hits apiece.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (4.40) tossed three scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (14-12)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Boise won its fourth-straight game, beating visiting Hillsboro, 6-2.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.267) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored to extend his Northwest League-best hitting streak to 12 games (.380/19-for-50).
- CF Rashad Crawford (.315) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (5), a triple (4) and three RBI (17). It was his third-straight, three-RBI game.
- C Mark Malave (.283) went 2-for-3 with a run scored.
Mesa Cubs (8-7)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Mesa lost its fourth-straight game, falling to the visiting AZL D-backs, 8-0. The Cubs have committed 19 errors in their last four games.
- RHP Kyuji Fujikawa made his second start with the Mesa Cubs as part of a major league rehab assignment. He hasn’t allowed a hit while fanning two in two innings.
- 3B Varonex Cuevas (.667) recorded three of Mesa’s seven hits, going 3-for-4.
- LHP Andin Diaz (0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.