Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/10/14
Of the Cubs minor league affiliates, only Kane County picked up a win Thursday. Mesa had the day off and will resume play Friday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (49-44)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa scored their lone run on a solo shot from 3B Kris Bryant, falling to host Omaha, 7-1.
- Bryant (.329) led off the seventh with his ninth home run since joining Iowa and 31st of the season. He has hit safely in 18 of his 23 games as an I-Cub.
- C Rafael Lopez (.280) recorded the first four-hit game of his career, tallying four singles in four at-bats.
- 1B Logan Watkins (.265) went 1-for-4 with his 11th double of the season off of Omaha’s Tim Collins. The two-bagger was his first extra-base hit off of a lefty this season.
Tennessee Smokies (12-9)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Entering the ninth knotted at four, the visiting Suns out-rallied the Smokies to win, 6-5.
- RF Jorge Soler (.405) hit his third home run in his last three games, finishing 2-for-4 with a run, a walk and two RBI (12). He has reached base safely in all but one of his 11 games with the Smokies this season.
- SS Addison Russell (.143) recorded his first two hits with the organization in his third game with Tennessee. His seventh-inning single snapped an initial 0-for-12 skid.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.222) finished 2-for-4 with his fourth double in as many games and 18th of the season.
Daytona Cubs (12-7)
T-1st Place (–)
Dunedin jumped ahead with a five-run fourth and never looked back, topping the Cubs in Daytona, 7-4.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.293) finished 3-for-5 with his 10th double of the season. It marked his 23rd multihit game of the season and his fourth three-hit performance.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.285) knocked two doubles in four at-bats, bringing his season total to 16. His two RBI bring him to 32 on the season, the third-highest total on the team.
- The team went just 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position, but managed to produce four runs from seven hits and four walks.
Kane County Cougars (14-5)
1st Place (+1.5)
The Cougars scored early and often at Quad Cities, tallying three in the top of the first en route to a 9-5 win over the River Bandits.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.238) set a season high with eight total bases, including his first homer with Kane County and two doubles (6).
- 2B Ben Carhart (.283) had his third multihit game in his last four, finishing 3-for-5 with a run and three RBI.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.267) went 2-for-5 with his 13th double of the season.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.224) also notched multiple hits, singling twice and walking while scoring two runs.
- RF Kevin Brown (.364) launched his second homer in three games since being promoted to Kane County.
- RHP Jose Arias (1.82) recorded the final two outs for his second save of the year.
Boise Hawks (14-13)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Boise pitching allowed nine runs on 19 hits and two errors as the Hawks fell, 9-3, at home.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.275), C Mark Zagunis (.366) and 1B Alex Tomasovich (.255) recorded two hits apiece.
- Eight of Boise’s nine hitters recorded a hit. 2B Giuseppe Pappacio (.197), the lone hitless Hawk, also contributed offensively with a sacrifice fly in the third.
- RHP Josh Davis (1-1, 7.11) suffered his first loss of the season, allowing four earned runs in 0.2 frames.