Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/13/14
The Cubs minor league system had a successful Sunday, with only Iowa taking a loss. Meanwhile, Mesa was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (51-46)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa managed just three hits in a 5-2 loss to visiting Oklahoma City.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.277), SS Chris Valaika (.289) and 1B Lars Anderson (.254) all recorded a hit.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (6.43) allowed one run on three hits and struck out three in three innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (13-11)
1st Place (+0.5)
Tennessee used a seven-run fifth-inning to snap a three-game skid and beat visiting Jacksonville, 14-8.
- RF Jorge Soler (.426) recorded his first career multihomer game, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored, two home runs and a career-high five RBI (17).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.281) went 3-for-5 with two runs, three RBI (28) and one stolen base (5).
- SS Elliot Soto (.233) and LF Anthony Giansanti (.233) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Zach Cates (2-1, 2.25) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn the victory.
Daytona Cubs (14-8)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona won its second-straight game, beating host Jupiter, 6-2.
- RHP Tayler Scott pitched six scoreless innings to earn the win.
- RF Billy McKinney (.261) went 1-for-4 with a home run and four RBI (8).
- C Chadd Krist (.214) went 2-for-3 with a second-inning, two-run homer.
- RHP Zack Godley (5.01) tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
Kane County Cougars (17-6)
1st Place (+2.0)
GM 1: Kane County held visiting Beloit to just three hits in a 3-1 victory.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng gave up three hits over seven innings and surrendered just one run to earn the win.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.382) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.265) had two hits apiece.
GM 2: Kane County beat Beloit 6-5 to complete the doubleheader sweep.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.267) went 2-for-3 with two home runs and a game-high four RBI (15).
- LHP Michael Heesch (2-0, 3.18) allowed one run on two hits in one inning of relief to earn the win.
Boise Hawks (16-14)
2nd Place (-2.0)
Boise recorded 11 hits in a 6-2 victory at Eugene.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.264) and 1B Alex Tomasovich (.275) had two hits apiece.
- RF Jeffry Baez (.273) extended his hitting streak to a season-high 16 games (.364/24-for-66).
- RHP James Norwood (0.00) struck out four hitters in two perfect innings of relief.