Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/16/14
Only Boise was able to muster a win on Wednesday, scoring five runs late in the game. Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all fell, while Iowa and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (13-13)
T-1st Place (–)
RHP Matt Loosen allowed six earned runs over four innings as the Smokies fell to host Huntsville, 6-4.
- Rehabbing IF/OF Emilio Bonifacio started in center field, going 0-for-4 from the leadoff spot.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.217) went 2-for-3 with three RBI (32).
- 1B Charles Cutler added two hits, walked and scored two runs in his sixth multihit game in 12 July contests.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (4.57) and RHP Zach Cates (2.00) combined for four scoreless frames of relief.
Daytona Cubs (15-9)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona managed one run on seven hits off Fort Myers pitching. The visiting Miracle won 5-1.
- RF Billy McKinney (.313) recorded his second-straight multihit game, which included his first double since joining Daytona.
- 3B Wes Darvill (.255) went 1-for-4 and knocked in the lone Daytona run, his 11th RBI of the 2014 campaign.
Kane County Cougars (17-8)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County fell behind 8-0 to host Lansing, eventually losing by a final score of 8-4.
- Kane County managed seven singles from seven different hitters. Each of the four runs was knocked in by a different player: C Ben Carhart (.278, 35 RBI), DH Cael Brockmeyer (.291, 23 RBI), SS Carlos Penalver (.220, 30 RBI) and RF Shawon Dunston (.247, 22 RBI).
- The team hit 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight runners.
- RHP Zak Hermans (3.91) provided two scoreless frames of relief. Nine of his 12 relief outings have been for more than three outs.
Boise Hawks (19-14)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Boise tallied two runs in the seventh and five in the eighth to win at home, 8-4, over Spokane.
- OF Jeffrey Baez (.285) went 1-for-5 with a run, a double (6) and an RBI (28), extending his Northwest League-leading hitting streak to 19 games (.366/30-for-82). His season average has risen from .164 to .285 over the course of the streak.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.328) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with two RBI (20) and a stolen base (8).
- C Justin Marra (.312) also notched multiple hits, including his team-leading 12th double of the year.
- DH Calvin Graves (.273) finished 1-for-4 with two runs and two RBI (3). He has hit safely in each of his three games with an at-bat since joining Boise.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (1-0, 0.00) delivered two hitless frames of relief for his first professional win.
- RHP David Garner (2.38) followed with a hitless ninth to earn his second save.