Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/20/14
Tennessee snapped a small losing streak, and Daytona piled on the hits to pick up a victory Sunday in a full slate of minor league action. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league games:
Iowa Cubs (54-47)
1st Place (+1.5)
Iowa had its three-game winning streak snapped, falling 4-3 in 12 innings at Round Rock.
- LHP Chris Rusin pitched seven innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out five.
- SS Javier Baez (.252) extended his hitting streak to 14 games (.310/18-for-58), going 3-for-6.
- DH Chris Valaika (.291) and 1B Lars Anderson (.278) each had two hits.
- RHPs Armando Rivero (1.29) and Arodys Vizcaino (13.50) combined to toss three scoreless innings.
Tennessee Smokies (15-15)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Tennessee snapped a two-game skid with a 10-3 win at Huntsville.
- SS Addison Russell (.262) went 2-for-4 with two homers (including a fifth-inning grand slam) and a career-high six RBI (8).
- Rehabbing 2B Emilio Bonifacio (.250) went 4-for-5 with a run scored.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (9-5, 4.15) allowed a run in 2.1 innings of relief to earn the win.
Daytona Cubs (17-11)
1st Place (+0.5)
Daytona recorded 15 hits in a 9-1 victory at Palm Beach.
- RHP Felix Pena picked up the win, going seven strong, giving up one earned run and striking out sevenl.
- CF Albert Almora (.281) went 4-for-5 with two runs scored.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.350), SS Marco Hernandez (.285) and 1B Rock Shoulders (.215) all had two hits apiece.
- RF Billy McKinney (.275) went 1-for-5 with a double (2) and a game-high three RBI (13).
Kane County Cougars (19-10)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County dropped its second-straight contest, falling 9-5 at Great Lakes.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.269) went 2-for-3 with a first-inning, two-run homer.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.315) went 2-for-4 with a double (7) and one RBI (29).
- LHP Michael Heesch (2.66) struck out six hitters in 3.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (21-16)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Boise recorded just three hits in a 6-1 loss against visiting Salem-Keizer.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.273) and SS Jason Vosler (.340) each had a hit.
- 1B Dan Canela (.303) went 1-for-3 with a walk and one RBI (20).
- RHP Ryan Williams (0.00) struck out three hitters over two scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (11-11)
3rd Place (-3.0)
The Mesa Cubs fell by a score of 8-2 at home against the AZL Angels.
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.263) and SS Bryant Flete (.298) had two hits apiece.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.348) went 0-for-4 but picked up his third RBI of the season.