Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/22/14
Pitching powered Iowa, Tennessee won in walk-off fashion, and Mesa fought back to claim a victory Tuesday. Daytona and Boise both lost, while Kane County had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (55-48)
1st Place (+1.5)
RHP Dallas Beeler spun seven shutout innings in his fifth consecutive quality start, as the I-Cubs blanked visiting New Orleans 1-0.
- CF Matt Szczur (.246) scored the game’s only run on a bases-loaded walk with SS Chris Valaika (.289, 48 RBI) batting.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.49) and RHP Blake Parker (1.29) completed the shutout with a perfect inning each. Rosscup earned his eighth hold, and Parker earned his league-leading 21st save.
Tennessee Smokies (16-16)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Tennessee beat the Mississippi Braves 8-7 with a walk-off ground-rule double from CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.219) in the 10th inning.
- 1B Charles Cutler (.333) had three hits, including a two-run homer, and three RBI (34).
- C Luis Flores (.231) and PH Dustin Geiger (.224) each added homers of their own.
- RF Jorge Soler (.415) went 2-for-4 with a run and his 22nd RBI before being promoted to Iowa after the game.
- RHP Frank Batista (2-0, 0.89) tossed two scoreless frames to earn the win in relief.
Daytona Cubs (18-12)
1st Place (+1.5)
Daytona managed three runs on 10 hits, falling to host Palm Beach, 9-3.
- RHP Juan Paniagua suffered the loss in his first start since joining Daytona from Kane County.
- CF Albert Almora (.283) went 2-for-3 with a run, a solo homer (7) and three RBI (50). After the game, he was promoted to Tennessee.
- 3B Wes Darvill (.278) went 3-for-4 with a run, his ninth double and his third stolen base.
- RF Billy McKinney (.283) extended his hitting streak to five with his fourth multihit game in his last eight. He finished 2-for-4 with his fourth double.
Boise Hawks (0-1)
T-3rd Place (-1.0)
Everett AquaSox pitching shut down Hawks hitters, allowing just three hits, as Boise lost in Everett, 6-0.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.267), C Mark Zagunis (.341) and LF Charles White (.200) recorded Boise’s three hits, all singles. Jeffrey Baez was later called up to Daytona.
- Hawks hitters recorded five walks, including two each from Zagunis and 2B Chesny Young (.354).
Mesa Cubs (12-11)
3rd Place (-2.5)
Mesa returned to action with a 7-6 comeback win over the visiting AZL Dodgers. The Cubs entered the bottom of the seventh trailing 6-1 and won on a walk-off RBI double from RF Eloy Jimenez (.286).
- Jimenez paced the offense, going 3-for-5 with a solo homer to tie the game in the eighth and the walk-off double, bringing him to eight RBI on the season.
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.286), 1B Roney Alcala (.188) and 3B Adonis Paula (.222) each added two hits.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (2-1, 6.52) surrendered four earned runs over three frames of relief to earn his second win.