Minor League Recap: 7/23/14
The Cubs farm teams went a perfect 5-0 Wednesday, with Boise unable to play due to rain. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (56-48)
1st Place (+2.5)
The I-Cubs broadened their first-place lead with a 13-4 home victory over New Orleans.
- Three different I-Cubs hitters notched three RBI in 3B Kris Bryant (.313, 29 RBI), 1B Lars Anderson (.287, 19 RBI), and RF Ryan Kalish (.215, 22 RBI)
- 2B Javier Baez (.253, 63 RBI) added two of his own.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched six innings, giving up only one unearned run while picking up his first quality start in two starts since joining Iowa. He had nine in 16 starts with Tennessee.
- RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (4.50) offered a perfect seventh inning with two strikeouts.
Tennessee Smokies (17-16)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Tennessee took the middle game of a five-game home series with Mississippi by a final score of 6-3.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.278, 30 RBI) and 3B Christian Villanueva (.263, 15 RBI) both went 2-for-5 with two RBI each. Bruno tallied his fourth triple, and Villanueva tacked on his seventh double.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa earned his first win in his ninth start, limiting the opponent to fewer than two runs for the sixth time this year He gave up one earned run over five innings.
- Figueroa was followed by RHP P.J. Francescon (4.00), who tossed two hitless frames to earn his third hold, and RHP Zach Cates (1.80), who recorded his first save with one scoreless inning.
Daytona Cubs (19-12)
1st Place (+2.5)
Daytona jumped ahead with a four-run second and never looked back, besting host Palm Beach, 6-2.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny pitched six scoreless innings to pick up the win.
- Scoring started with a leadoff homer from 1B Dan Vogelbach (.272), one of his two round-trippers in his third career multi-homer game.
- CF Billy McKinney (.286) hit in his sixth straight game (and 11th of his last 12) with his first triple since joining the Cubs organization.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4.86) spun three innings for his first save, allowing two runs and fanning five.
Kane County Cougars (20-11)
1st Place (+3.0)
Kane County scored five runs on 11 hits to defeat South Bend at home, 5-2.
- RHP Duane Underwood picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over five innings while striking out seven.
- RF Kevin Brown (.316) recorded his second consecutive three-hit game, finishing with two RBI (6).
- DH Cael Brockmeyer (.320) doubled twice for the first time this season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) knocked in his 19th and 20th runs in 29 games since joining the Cougars.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (3.86) threw three scoreless innings for his second hold.
- RHP Jose Arias (2.14) earned his third save with a scoreless ninth inning.
Mesa Cubs (13-11)
3rd Place (-2.0)
RHP C.J. Edwards returned from the disabled list to contribute to Mesa’s 10-0 win at the AZL Rangers. The shutout marked Mesa’s second such win of the season.
- Edwards pitched two scoreless innings, striking out two.
- Seven Mesa hitters had two hits apiece, including two doubles from C Erick Castillo (.235, 3 2B).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.231, 1 2B), 1B Roney Alcala (.216, 1 2B), and LF Ricardo Marcano (.229, 5 2B) each knocked a double. With Castillo’s two two-baggers, Mesa had five in total.
- LHP Jose Paulino (1-2, 7.64) contributed four shutout innings of relief for his first win.