Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/24/14
Iowa earned a big win, pitching powered Tennessee, Kane County took the series, and Boise cruised to victory Thursday. Only Mesa lost, while Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (57-48)
1st Place (+2.5)
Iowa routed New Orleans at home by a final score of 11-2 despite being outhit 14-12 by the Zephyrs.
- LHP Eric Jokisch gave up two earned runs over 5.1 innings, fanning five in the win.
- 2B Javier Baez (.255) finished 2-for-5 with a run, a solo homer and three RBI (66).
- PH Josh Vitters (.205) tallied his eighth homer of the season in his only at-bat.
- 1B Mike Olt (.400) also notched two hits, including a double (1), and knocked in three (3) in his first game since being sent to Iowa from the Chicago Cubs.
Tennessee Smokies (18-16)
1st Place (+0.5)
RHP Pierce Johnson spun six shutout frames for the Smokies en route to a 4-2 home win over the Braves to take over first place in the division.
- In his first game with the Smokies, 1B Lars Anderson (.500) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (1) and an RBI (1).
- SS Addison Russell (.236) contributed the other Tennessee multihit game—his fifth such contest in 15 games since joining the Cubs organization.
- Johnson’s effort was his second consecutive outing without allowing an earned run (11.0 IP). He managed a season-high-tying eight punch-outs over six innings, giving up no earned runs.
- RHP Jeff Lorick (4.53) recorded the first two outs of the eighth for his ninth hold.
- RHP Frank Batista (0.83) completed the game, earning his sixth save.
Kane County Cougars (21-11)
1st Place (+3.0)
Kane County clinched the home series win over South Bend by taking the middle game, 5-3.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.270) paced the offense with three hits, including a solo homer, and two RBI (44).
- LF Shawon Dunston (.265), 2B Ben Carhart (.282) and CF Trey Martin (.245) tallied two singles apiece. Dunston knocked in one (26) and stole a base (13), while Carhart plated two (37).
- LHP Michael Heesh (2.42) threw two scoreless innings for his second hold.
- RHP James Pugliese (1.54) earned his third save with 1.1 scoreless innings.
Boise Hawks (1-1)
4th Place (-1.5)
The Hawks earned their first win of the second half, topping host Everett by a final score of 7-3.
- 1B Danny Canela (.293) put Boise ahead with a two-run shot in the first (4 HR, 25 RBI).
- C Justin Marra (.305) provided insurance with a two-run homer of his own in the eighth (6 HR, 26 RBI).
- 2B David Bote (.375) recorded the lone multihit game for the Hawks, going 2-for-4 with a run.
- LHP Sam Wilson (3-0, 3.52) offered two scoreless innings of relief for his third win of the year.
Mesa Cubs (13-12)
3rd Place (-3.0)
Mesa surrendered a 5-1 lead on the road, losing 7-6 on a walk-off single from the AZL Athletics’ Robert Martinez.
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.313) finished 2-for-3 with a run, a walk, a triple (1) and an RBI (3).
- RF Shamil Ubiera (.250) knocked in two (11), finishing 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Five Mesa errors contributed to three unearned runs.
- RHP Jesus Castillo (3.52) earned his first hold despite allowing four runs (two earned) in 1.1 innings pitched.
- LHP Andin Diaz (1-1, 1.54) suffered his first loss and first blown save, allowing two runs (one earned) in 0.2 frames.