Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/27/14
In a very full slate of games Sunday, Daytona completed a doubleheader sweep, and Mesa cruised to a win. But Iowa, Tennessee, Kane County and Boise all fell short. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (57-53)
1st Place (+0.5)
GAME 1: Iowa dropped its fourth-straight game in the first half of its second consecutive doubleheader with Memphis, falling at home by a final score of 4-2.
- RF Jorge Soler (.333) hit his first Triple-A homer, a two run shot in the sixth inning.
- C Eli Whiteside (.182) recorded the lone multihit game for the I-Cubs, knocking two singles.
- Iowa failed to record a hit with runners in scoring position, finishing 0-for-4.
GAME 2: Memphis completed its second doubleheader sweep of Iowa in as many days and a five-game series sweep. The Redbirds shut the I-Cubs out 2-0.
- 1B Mike Olt (.286) recorded two of Iowa’s seven hits, including his third double of the year.
- Josh Vitters (.205) was used as a pinch hitter for the third time in the last six games, singling in place of RHP Marcus Hatley. He is 2-for-7 (.286) with a homer and two RBI as a pinch hitter this season.
- CF Matt Szczur (.254) recorded a single and a stolen base (20) in each of yesterday’s games.
- Hatley (3.26), RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (2.25) and RHP Armando Rivero (1.08) combined for three scoreless innings of relief and three strikeouts.
Tennessee Smokies (19-18)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Tennessee entered the bottom of the eighth with a 5-1 lead, but allowed four runs to come across in the eighth and one in the ninth to lose to Birmingham, 6-5, on a walk-off fielding error by 2B Jonathan Mota (4).
- RHP Corey Black gave up one earned run over six innings.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.221) finished 2-for-5 from the leadoff spot with a solo shot to drive in his 38th run.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.429, 2 2B) and 3B Christian Villanueva (.283, 10 2B) each singled and doubled. Villanueva knocked in two runs (18).
- Mota (.255) hit his first triple of the season as part of a two-hit day. It was his 11th game with multiple hits.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (3.57) earned his 10th hold despite allowing two runs over one frame.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (3.67) blew his second save, allowing two runs in the eighth to tie the game.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (0-2, 2.77) allowed the game-winning unearned run for his second loss of the year.
Daytona Cubs (23-12)
1st Place (+3.0)
GAME 1: Daytona surrendered a three-run lead but prevailed 4-3 over visiting St. Lucie in the first half of the club’s second-straight doubleheader.
- Daytona managed four RBI on just three total bases. 1B Dan Vogelbach (.279, 56 RBI) had an RBI single in the first inning. Later in the frame, 2B Wes Darvill (.276, 12 RBI) knocked a two-run single.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.282, 7 RBI) helped the team regain the lead with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth.
- RHP Michael Jensen (6-4, 2.51) earned the win in relief, retiring three Mets without allowing a run.
- RHP Zack Godley (4.03) earned his third save, allowing one hit over 1.2 innings of work.
GAME 2: Daytona completed its second-consecutive doubleheader sweep over visiting St. Lucie with a comeback 6-5 win.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.279) extended his hitting streak to eight games with a two-run shot in the fifth inning, giving Daytona the 6-5 lead.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.294) tallied two singles in his 28th multihit game of the year.
- 3B Wes Darvill (.279, 17 RBI) picked up his third and fourth RBI of the day with a double. He also stole a base (4).
- RHP Starling Peralta (6-3, 3.59) earned the win in relief, providing 2.1 scoreless innings of work.
Kane County Cougars (22-13)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County’s ninth-inning rally fell short, as the Cougars lost at home to West Michigan, 2-1.
- All of Kane County’s offense came from the first three hitters. LF Shawon Dunston (.284) went 2-for-4 with two singles while SS Carlos Penalver (.217) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) each tallied their 13th doubles of the season.
- RHP Tyler Skulina suffered the loss in his sixth quality start of the season, going seven innings and giving up one earned run while fanning seven.
Boise Hawks (2-4)
4th Place (-3.0)
After jumping ahead 3-2 in the top of the 10th inning, the Hawks lost to the Hillsboro Hops, 4-3, on a walk-off homer from Hops 2B Pedro Ruiz.
- CF Charcer Burks (.529) finished 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI (3). He has hit in each of his five games with Boise (9-for-17), including multiple hits in each of his last three games (.636/7-for-11).
- RF Mark Zagunis (.333) singled twice for the Hawks and walked. He has multiple hits in nine of his 27 games with Boise.
- RHP Trey Lang (1.74) threw three scoreless frames of relief before RHP Francisco Carrillo (1-2, 2.74) surrendered the two-run shot, suffering his first blown save and second loss.
Mesa Cubs (1-0)
T-2nd Place (-0.5)
Mesa routed the host AZL D-backs, 12-2, on 20 hits.
- Every Mesa hitter recorded a hit, while seven of the nine recorded multiple knocks.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.261) was a perfect 4-for-4 with three runs, two doubles (3), two RBI (13) and a stolen base (3).
- 2B Andrew Ely (.333) homered and finished 3-for-5, with two runs and an RBI (4).
- 1B Roney Alcala (.255) also went 3-for-5 with two runs and an RBI (3).
- LHP Andin Diaz (2-1, 1.38) tossed 1.1 scoreless frames in relief and struck out two to earn his second win of the season.