Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/31/14
Individuals came up big, but it was a rough day for Cubs minor league teams Thursday, with only Iowa grabbing a win. Tennessee, Daytona, Kane County and Boise all lost, while Mesa had a scheduled day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (60-54)
1st Place (+1.5)
Iowa topped host New Orleans for their third-straight win following a six-game losing streak. RHP Dan Straily spun six scoreless innings as the I-Cubs shut out the Zephyrs, 4-0.
- Straily struck out five and walked one, giving up just four hits to pick up the win.
- 2B Javier Baez (.259) hit his second homer in as many games as part of a three-hit effort. He scored once and drove in two. His 78 RBI rank second in the PCL, two behind Fresno’s Adam Duvall.
- 1B Mike Olt (.351) recorded his fourth two-hit game in his last five contests, and hit his first Iowa homer. Olt also added his first stolen base of 2014 at any level.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.310) launched his 13th homer with Iowa, and 35th of the season, ranking second in the minor leagues (behind Joey Gallo’s 37).
Tennessee Smokies (20-21)
2nd Place (-2.5)
The Smokies opened a five-game home series with Pensacola with a 6-4 loss, their third-straight setback.
- Six Daytona hitters recorded one hit each.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.225) hit his 23rd double, the Cubs lone extra-base hit, and knocked in two runs (42).
- RHP Matt Loosen (5.57), LHP Andrew McKirahan (3.00) and RHP P.J. Francescon (4.03) combined for five innings of relief, allowing one run on one hit.
Daytona Cubs (25-14)
1st Place (+4.5)
The Daytona Cubs were shut out at home by Bradenton, 8-0, managing just four singles.
- RHP Tayler Scott gave up one earned run over five innings, striking out four.
- C Wilson Contreras (.241) walked four times. It was his first multiwalk game since August 31 of last year with Kane County.
- In the second inning, Daytona committed two fielding errors and uncorked one wild pitch, allowing five unearned runs.
- The Cubs were 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position, stranding 14 runners.
Kane County Cougars (22-17)
Kane County allowed four runs in the bottom of the eighth to fall, 7-3, at Wisconsin. It was their sixth-straight loss.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.167) recorded two doubles (3) and scored once. It marked his first game with multiple doubles since Aug. 14 of last year with Mesa.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.299) added a double of his own, knocking in his 30th RBI and first since July 20 at Great Lakes.
- RHP Zak Hermans (2-3, 3.94) allowed four runs, three earned, in the eighth inning to suffer his third loss of the year.
Boise Hawks (4-6)
4th Place (-3.0)
Boise plated the first run of the game in the bottom of the first, but ultimately fell 2-1 to visiting Vancouver.
- 1B Danny Canela (.307, 12 2B) and 2B David Bote (.327, 5 2B) each finished 2-for-4 with a double. Bote knocked in the lone Boise run (7).
- RHP Ryan Williams (1.50) provided four frames of scoreless relief, striking out two. He was followed by RHPs Daniel Lewis (0.00) and James Farris (0.00), who each threw an additional scoreless inning.