Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/3/14
Tennessee and Boise pitchers got the job done Sunday, while Kane County returned to its winning ways. Iowa was the only team in the loss column. Daytona and Mesa were rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (61-56)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa fell out of first place with a 7-5 loss at Omaha.
- SS Javier Baez (.260) posted his first multihomer game of the season, going 2-for-3 with two walks and two solo home runs. After hitting a combined 11 homers in 72 games in April, May and June, Baez has 12 blasts in 32 games in July and August.
- DH Josh Vitters (.212) went 3-for-4 with his 13th double of the campaign.
- RHPs Arodys Vizcaino (7.62) and Armando Rivero (0.92) combined to toss three scoreless innings.
Tennessee Smokies (22-22)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Tennessee held on for a 4-1 victory over visiting Pensacola despite recording just four hits.
- SS Addison Russell (.293) went 1-for-3 with an eighth-inning, two-run homer.
- LF Lars Anderson (.351) went 1-for-3 with a double (4) and two RBI (5).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (2.65) allowed one hit in two scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Pierce Johnson tossed his third-straight quality start, giving up two hits and no earned runs over six innings. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .181 batting average (26-for-144) this season.
Kane County Cougars (25-17)
1st Place (+4.0)
Kane County won its third-straight game, beating visiting Quad Cities, 9-5.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.305) went 3-for-5 with a sixth-inning, solo blast.
- SS Dan Lockhart (.276) and 2B Chesny Young (.375) each recorded three hits apiece.
- RF Jeffry Baez (.258) went 2-for-3 with two runs, a double (14), a triple (1) and two RBI (3).
- CF Trey Martin (.253) went 1-for-4 with two RBI (28).
Boise Hawks (6-7)
4th Place (-3.0)
Boise limited visiting Vancouver to six hits in a 3-2 victory.
- RHP Trevor Clifton picked up the win, giving up just one hit over five innings and striking out six.
- 2B David Bote (.328) went 2-for-4 with a third-inning, solo homer.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.276) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his 12th stolen base of the year.
- RHP Brad Markey (2.84) struck out four hitters in two scoreless innings of relief to earn his second save of the season.