Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/5/14
Iowa powered its way to a win, Daytona scored three runs late, and Kane County split a doubleheader Tuesday. Boise had a representative in the Northwest League All-Star Game, while Tennessee and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (63-56)
1st Place (+1.5)
Iowa improved to a PCL-best 28-7 in day games this season, beating host Omaha, 7-4.
- RHP Dan Staily struck out nine in seven innings, giving up no earned runs in the win. He hasn’t allowed an earned run over his last two starts and has fanned 14 (13.0 IP).
- 1B Mike Olt (.345) went 2-for-4 with a third-inning grand slam. He’s hit safely in 10-straight games, batting .400 (16-for-40) with five doubles, two home runs and 10 RBI during the stretch.
- RF Jorge Soler (.286) fell a triple shy of the cycle, going 3-for-5 with two runs, a double (5), a home run and three RBI (12). He’s hit four homers and driven in 12 in his first 14 games with Iowa.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.321) extended his hitting streak to nine games, going 2-for-3 with two runs. He’s batting .400 (12-for-30) with 14 runs, three doubles, three homers and seven RBI during the streak.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.52) recorded the final out of the game to earn his fourth save of the campaign.
Daytona Cubs (26-16)
1st Place (+5.0)
Daytona scored three runs in the top of the eighth inning to sneak past host Clearwater, 3-1.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up one earned run over five innings, striking out five.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.279) went 2-for-5 with a run and a stolen base (4).
- DH Billy McKinney (.308) went 1-for-4 with a game-high two RBI (25).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3-0, 4.47) tossed three scoreless innings to earn his third win of the year.
- RHP Zack Godley (4.26) worked a scoreless ninth inning to pick up his fourth save.
Kane County Cougars (26-18)
T-1st Place (–)
GM 1: Kane County dropped the first game of a doubleheader at Peoria, 4-1.
- 3B Chesny Young (.389) went 2-for-4 with an RBI and his first stolen base of the season.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.281) went 2-for-3 with his 14th double of the year.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng allowed just one run on two hits and fanned two in 6.1 innings of work.
GM 2: Kane County limited Peoria to just four hits in the second game, beating the Chiefs, 4-1.
- RHP Ben Wells pitched six innings, giving up one earned run, to pick up the win.
- CF Jeffry Baez (.237) went 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning, solo home run.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.283) and 2B Chesny Young (.410) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.50) worked a scoreless seventh inning for his 11th save of the season.
Boise Hawks (6-7)
4th Place (-3.0)
The North and South teams combined for just nine hits in a 0-0 tie in the Northwest League All-Star Game Tuesday at Swede Johnson Stadium. Boise’s Mark Zagunis doubled for one of the South’s four hits and finished 1-for-2 in a game that was called after 10 innings.